Racing Thoughts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Will flu help with racing and repetitive thoughts. I've had the same thought repeat over and over for the last year. Even though I know the thought are not factual it makes me feel crazy

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes the meds should help with repetitive thoughts.  You get into a cycle of anxiety, depression, thoughts, tired mind ..... the thoughts cause anxiety etc and so the cycle continues.  When your mind is tired thoughts stick easier.  Even though you know they're factual, it's the anxiety that keeps them bouncing around your tired mind.

Taking Fluoxetine or any similar SSRI helps to break that cycle by easing the anxiety, lifting the mood and so with it the thoughts begin to lose their importance.  I used to have irritating thoughts but they lost their importance and now they don't bother me anymore.

Recovering on this meds is a long slow process, but if you keep persevering you'll find yourself in calmer waters in time.

K x

• Posted

How are you doing Brittany?
    • Posted

Monday will be the end of my 4th week. I also have racing thoughts. I have taken prozac once before for this also and it cured me within 3 weeks then I stopped treatment after two months. I was cured a year and half then recently had a miscarriage and now am going through it again but a lot worse.
    • Posted

Well I went to my psychiatrist today. I started seeing the PA assistant because last time i went the psychiatrist was very rude and said "I dont look anxious," but clearly im suffering. She added klonopin to my flu dose. I start taking it in the morning now I'm praying and hoping this works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.