Radial head replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a radial head replacement 4 months ago right elbow and dominant hand of course . Tripped over my cat in my kitchen. Still lots of stiffness and pain. Was told up to a year for physio and healing. Anyone else with a similar case?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi georgina

radial head replacements are unpredictable but yes...... good physio for a year-18 months sometimes is required. it often depends on whether it was a dislocation or the wrist was injured at the same time both which give a poorer outcome. if the surgery was done well then the replacement can be removed and the elbow released around one year. hope that helps.

sam vollans

elbow surgeon leeds

• Edited

My doctor told me to expect 12-18 months of issues. And to keep stretching as much as you can.

• Posted

Also...my doctor doesn't believe in removing the implant. He says that removing the implant will improve range of motion, but the instability due to not having the radial head results in significant shoulder and wrist issues long term.

• Posted

year and a half and still pain and throbbing. mobility around 80% . not great but manageable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.