Radial head resurface with ball and cup. Total replacement. UK or Abroad

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have heavy wear on my Radial head for my age of 50. Locking and painfull, grinding etc. NHS in the UK put this operation off and now cannot get any relief for the pain. Is this operation of Resurfacing still available in the UK or can I get this done in another country. My consultant said I would get good results for my age but NHS trials on much older patients stoped the NHS continuing. I need some help research and sourcing this operation. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a successful Radial head replacement , will be 5 years on November 2nd. Mine was replaced due to it being crushed in a fall. I had it done at Holy Cross Hospital in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. USA by Dr. Levy. I have had no problems or pain associated with the Radial Head, I have full range of motion turning my arm and hand. My issues are due to injuries caused when the Radial Head was crushed it severed ligaments and tendons. I wish you luck Tony, not many elbow replacement or radial head surgeries are done, making it hard to find a experienced Surgeon. If I would need the total elbow replacement surgery, I have found I would need to Travel to New York to the Specialty Surgery Hospital.
    • Posted

Good to hear there has been successful results. My consultant and I have spoken about total replacement but it would leave me with lack of use for something who's been very fit and strong for my age and still have the muscle/tendon strength around the joint. My co sultans came up with the half ball and cup resurfacing that would be of benit to me. However out National Health Service here in the UK decided to pull the Op after 50/50 results but unfortunately where conducted on much older and less able patients than myself. So I may have to research and resource surgery in another country. 

• Posted

Hi, I am 38 and I actually had my radial head removed 2 years ago, and that part of my problem (having more surgery for the other part of the joint this month) has been fine since. I still have the full twist and no pain for that part of the joint. I am on private health care mind, but they do still follow to a certain extent what is allowed to be done on the NHS, so might be worth an ask!
    • Posted

Thank you. One of my neighbours daughter has the head removed and it hasn't gone well. My consultant didn't recommend having it done but wanted to resurface the joints. NHS pulled the Op before I could go ahead. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.