Radiation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello.  I am due to have ankle surgery next week followed by RAI (Radioactive Iodine Therapy) for Stage III Papillary Cancer 5 weeks 4 days later.  The Radiologist was a tad concerned for me to have the surgery prior to the Radiation due to the possiblity of still have inflammation from the ankle surgery.  The ankle surgery is for an old injury (10 years ago) that revealed just recently by MRI that I have a missing ligament that must of torn back then and some bone chips, calcification, etc.  So it wil require pins and reconstruction. Anyone have any thoughts, experience or advice on the matter?  It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a lot of complaints of the ankle? Otherwise you could consider postponing the operation till you're done with the RAI and have recovered from that.

Personally I would never ignore a concern from a Radiologist, even if it is little.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for your response. The ankle is painful especially since re-spraining (4th time) it the day before my first Thyroid surgery in October. And then did it again a few weeks ago. The radiologist wanted 6 weeks post op at least. So I bumped up my radiation another week as he recommended. Decisions, decisions sad blah

• Posted

Hi rbc, quite a complicated situation to be in indeed, you've got quite a lot on your plate.

Since it appears you followed the advice of the radiologist you should be fine. Six weeks after a procedure your body should be inflammation free anyway. 

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and in a few months will be free of pain and cancer, and that you will only get healthier over time.

Take good care of yourself,

wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.