radiation of thyroid?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has had gone through the radiation procedure for removing the thyroid? I was diagnosed when I was 15, and am currently 22. I have been told that radiation is the best way to go. However, I have a lot of reservations about it. If anyone has gone through this, I would appreciate an honest answer. Thanks!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There are alternatives, you can put Graves into remission with natural treatments.  Don't get pushed into RAI or surgery.

Take control of your own health & research all you can.

Remember it is not your thyroid that is the problem, removing it or killing it just removes some of the symptoms, it is your immune system that is out of balance, until you fix that your run the risk of developing other auto immune conditions. It's not easy and will require a lot of commitment, its not cheap either but you cannot put a price on good health.

Good luck

• Posted

You make good points, it's the cause you should concentrate on not just the symptoms, if only alternative treatments were available for everyone on nhs. Our GP's offer acupuncture, which is a start! Not that I've ever considered acupuncture for thyroid disease?!
  • Posted

Hi, I haven't had radiation treatment yet but my consultant thinks it's the best solution.  However like you I don't feel comfortable about it and will put it off as long as possible.  I am 57 and have had hyperthyroidism for about 18 months taking 10mg carbimazole daily and feel pretty well on it although low mood and energy levels. I have recently consulted a homeopath who has prescribed 2 remedies for 'underlying support' which has certainly helped with fatigue symptoms and puffy eyes but she said that if there's pathological damage to the thyroid that cannot be treated homeopathically. So I intend to carry on as I am for the time being.  My feeling is that radiation is a last resort but if I do have to resort to it I think it is quite safe! Good luck x 
    • Posted

same to you. Thanks! I do agree with the last possibility. 
  • Posted

I think this will be the next step for me my major reservation about RAI is the possible weight gain when I am hypo. Any thoughts on this? Regards Emily 
  • Posted

I had a partial thyroidectomy in 1993 and soon after became hypothyroid and started taking thyroxine. A few years later it regrew!!! I then had rai which then made me become really underactive and my thyroxine dose changes several a year. Last summer I was taking 150 mgm thyroxine and am now taking 225mgm. Today I have noticed a swelling on my neck just above my thyroidectomy scar and am feeling a bit anxious about it. I will get an urgent appointment with my gp on monday to find out what is going on.
    • Posted

good luck! That is quite a change. how has your mood affected you?

• Posted

I went through the radiation treatment just 6 weeks ago and I think I'm feeling much better in someways like as soon as I get in bed I go to sleep , before I could not get any sleep . Also I was very skinny I have put weight on my average level , I am happy dat I went through the treatment ,
  • Posted

I have been dealing with hyperthyroidism for 5 years now. At least diagnosed 5 years ago anyway. I have actually been dealing with it for many many years but went undiagnosed. When I was finally diagnosed, I was put on methimazole, metaprolol (beta blocker), prozac and amitriptoline at night. My endocrinologist is now refusing to see me any longer because I refuse to have RAI. I have no insurance any longer so I go to a clinic that helps low income patients yet they are very limited in what they know and how to treat my disorder. The PA I see there sent me back to that same endo (the only one in my area). My PA wanted me to have a biopsy and ultrasound which I was able to do with financial assistance but this Endo still refuses to treat me other than doing the special tests that my PA requested him to do. So now, he has written a letter to the clinic I attend and hatefully told my PA that I am refusing treatment. So I ran out of my meds and now my PA is refusing to refill my medications because of this letter the endo wrote to her. So, my only choice is to get the RAI or just stop receiving any treatment, which is what I have chosen to do. I am back to having extreme heart palps, pounding heart where when I try to sleep all I can do is lay there and listen to my heart beating so loud that it keeps me awake. My mental state is terrible and I am about at the end of my rope. I honestly do not know what to do other than pray I don't have a heart attack and die. This is a terrible disease and for doctors to refuse to treat patients due to their choice to not take the RAI should be illegal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.