Radiation risks with PAE

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been trying to decide whether it best I have PAE or Urolift to help with my BPH symptoms (60g prostate, urinary retention, nocturia) I had almost decided on PAE after reading so many positive reviews, but now I am concerned about the levels of radiation, because over the past 10 years i have had countless CT's (about 30) due to various health issues.

I have been unable to find the exact amount of radiation involved with PAE, but I believe the procedure is done with fluoroscopy which takes in excess of 2 hours, in addition to the initial angiogram.

A standard chest CT is 7mSv, and I have read that a lengthy fluoroscope is in excess of 50 mSv.  For a 2 hour+ procedure, it may well be much more than 50mSv I would imagine.  That is a lot of radiation!

Anyone care to comment on the radiation risks or otherwise of PAE?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anyone who has the Urolift: How did it effect nocturnia? (Waking at night to pee).

Did it reduce PVR (post void residual)....amount that remains in the bladder after peeing.

• Posted

Hello  I had a Uro-lift done in April of this year.  Was on pills got up 4 to 5 time a night and was peeing all day.  Would go and 10 minute later have to go again not nuch but still went.  After the uro-lift.  After a week or 2 no pills and no getting up at night.  I pee 3 or 4 time's a day Just depends on how much I drink.  I was glad I had it done..  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.