Radical Prostatectomy - or not?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been suffering for 15 awful months now with prostatitis - burning urination, bowel movements, scrotal inflammation and irritation, constipation. I can't go anywhere,,, I can't sleep - I'm wrecked; I'm broken- recent course of Amoxicillin for a supposed and probably non-existent bacterial infection has just made things much much worse

Consultant Urologist has advised me to have the prostate removed - he has a good track record in this. He says that there is a good chance it will relieve my pains; on the other hand there's a possibility it might make it worse though he says he has never regretted operating on cases like mine(what the patients thought I don't know)

I am extremely tensed up, anxious and worried about this

Advice appreciated

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As far as I know, radical prostatectomy is a treatment for cancer, not for the symptoms you describe. With cancer, your symptoms are not typical. But an expert will know.

I am sorry for your circumstance and advise you to find a teaching hospital near you and google the urologists who work there. Once you're happy with one, ask your GOP or PCP for a referral.

This is the time for investigation and diagnosis. Not the time for an invasive procedure.

• Posted

In a small minority of cases it is done to relieve the horrid symptoms of prostatitis. I've seen 3 urologists up to now - the one I consulted yesterday is a leader in the field - known as one of the best - and has operated many times; but only ten times in a case such as mine. I feel very uneasy and unsure about all this

• Posted

If your situation is uncommon, the best advice I can offer is to treated by whoever has treated most with your symptoms, even if that is not many, it's many more than the competition and that's what matters. A physician's experience is all that matters.

• Posted

He's the right man; not sure if it's the right procedure for me

• Posted

In that case I suggest you research the matter through academic journals. When it comes to treatment, eg surgery or RT, a patient cannot undue what was done, so take care when deciding what you want to subject your body to.

• Posted

Have you gotten a second opinion? Radical prostatectomy sound extreme. Always good to talk to a 2nd opinion before making any final decisions.

• Posted

This is the 4th Consultant Urologist I've seen

1. he said that I should learn to live with it(it's worse now) and that any meds they might prescribe would only "weaken me" - I wasn't impressed at the time - now I suspect he may have been right.. he said that he didn't know what my problem is - he ventured there might be "sludge in the pipes" - at least he didn't make things worse or try to fool me

2. went to London; saw expensive urologist said I had variocele and tried to sell me a 6.5k microsurgical denervation operation - wasn't happy about set up

3. Consulted another urologist - firstly he thought it was CPPS territory - pelvic floor - I went to a chiropracter who prodded and poked trigger points; said it wasn't. On second visit I insisted on the semen sample - which resulted in the unfortunate AM prescription

4. Went to see head honcho of 3) - he recommended prostatectomy

• Posted

"Learn to live with it" is what I heard from my former oncologist. That is not a treatment plan. That said, sometimes there are no treatments that have wide approval, so what is left is either to do nothing or to be experimental.

• Posted

I think urologist number 1's view - he looked near retirement - was that doing nothing is better than experimentation making it worse

• Posted

Sometimes doing nothing is a good idea when the alternatives are experimental or can leave you feeling worse. In your shoes I would obtain say 3 opinions and research the matter on my own before agreeing to anything. Most [not all] doctors are biased. A surgeon will [usually] advocate for surgery and a radiation oncologist for RT. The patient must be aware of this.

• Posted

Point taken though I'm in such a state doing 0 doesn't seem to be a viable option

• Posted

From previous post you have already had FLA and PAE without any benefit. Some recent posts have said that symptoms without infections can be stress related have you looked at options to cover that ?

• Posted

Or was it Joe who posted that about FLA and PAE ??

• Posted

Not me - I actually mentioned laser treatment y'day to the Consultant - he said that was the last thing he would do - because that would certainly increase the inflammation.

I am stressed; I'm going out of my mind with it

But I don't think scrotal inflammation, burning urination etc can be down to stress

I fear that my good bacteria have been wiped by meds of the abx variety -and that's why my anus for instance feels so acid right now - I doubt I've got infections as such; more that the med destruction down below has created such a profound imbalance that I just can't process food anymore

The radical prostatecomy is surely a dubious option

• Posted

Hi yes had temporary success with PAE for 20 months after partial procedure and so far excellent success with the FLA after 12 weeks. no side effects. very happy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.