Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have L5-S1 degenerative disc disease since 2009 and have managed it conservatively along with nerve block injections. I've read a lot about RFA and am considering having it done. Has anyone else had RFA for degenerative disc disease, what were the results and had they any side effects? Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have disc degeneration and arthritis in my lower back. I had RFA done June 1. I had three RFA on the left and 3 RFA's on the right of my lower back. I had tolerable pain as was expected, but the last few days the pain is severe in one spot on my left lower back. Why only one spot? My doctor's office doesn't answer their phone. Left a message and nurse called back twice to say she'd speak with the doctor and call me back - nothing so far and my pain level is at a 10 whenever I move. I will keep you posted.

• Edited

I went through the (RFA) process and well worth. It was after I fell off a ex-race horse that reared up on me when he spooked in 2007. With a 1 herniated disk and the other bulging and a broken pelvis in 3 places. Yep, I needed relief so after hearing about the new way then to lesson pain without the risk that is caused by back surgery. I tried it and it's amazing such a turning point to feeling much better, for sure. Thankfully it last a while for me way over a year and more. Just have to go back in to avoid painful nerves growing completely back. First do your homework on the Dr. who does the procedure and make sure the work is current (Radio frequency Ablation) done successfully patients sharing reviews how the Dr. treated them hopefully in a positive way treating their medical condition.

• Posted

the first time wasn't bad, they put me far enough under and the recovery I only had an ache burning above one of my shoulder blades.

the second time I had it done I feel like suing. They didn't put me under and it is no picnic , as they held me head in place. very disturbing to me.

For a whole month I have had burning and stinging from my clavicle all the way to my shoulder and up my neck to the base of my skull like. Awful! and I mean it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.