Radio iodine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have just been told I have to take thyroxine for an over active thyroid' I have just learned that my thyroid problems does not effect mu family.

It would be nice if you could make outtime to meet me. Richzrd dotes on you. if you ever need anything let major houlihan knw' lots of oe

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, thyroxine is for under active thyroid if you had over it would be carbimizole. hope everything goes ok for you . elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid in February and was put on 40mg of carbimazole a day. I was at the hospital last week and they have now decided to put me on Thyroxine 100mcg aday along side the Carbimazole. They have said it is called block and replace. The Carbimazole can make your thyroid become underactive which is what they wanted so they could put me on Thyroxine and probably later on was my thyroid is normal because of the block and replace regime then they may decide to do the radio iodine treatment. All I know is I now feel more human than what I had felt before the treatment. I have never felt so ill in my life. I am back at work and that is helping as well.

My doctor has told me to go straight back and see him if I start feeling shaky as he will do an urgent blood test. I have been taking the Thyroxine now for 4 days now and I feel ok so hopefully it will continue this way.

Hope everything goes ok for you in the future

Good luck

Sylvia

• Posted

hi sylvia, i too was on 40mg carbimizole & that sent me under. i am now on 5 mg carbimizole to try to bring my levels up slightly. i wish they would just get on with the rai as, being under is just as bad as being over. good luck with the block & replace. elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I go back to see the endo in september and then I think they will then decide to do the radio iodine thing.. i have heard it is not nice because you have to avoid people who are close to you basicly but the alternative doesnt bear thinking about. I have decided to go with Rai and hope for the best. I am already on meds for the rest of my life so what does another matter. I think it is the unknown that scares everyone.

It is really nice to talk to someone who knows what your going through though.

Good Luck for the future, things can only get better

Sylvia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.