Radioactive iodine.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Has anybody had radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

funny you should post this… I have not had this treatment for hyperthyroidism… But I do have graves disease and hyperthyroidism and have been treated with medication for six weeks and gotten the numbers under control… My question is I recently went evening work radio active iodine CAT scan or something else and I’m wondering if this will affect my thyroid levels? As this is what the doctor said triggered Hyperthyroidism in the first place?
  • Posted

I had Rai just over a year ago. Unlike all the scary internet stories it was uneventful. I had to stay away from everyone for 5 days... drank lots of water and had lemon drops after 24 hours .. I take synthroid every day. It's no big deal.

It was hard for my body to increase the dose to get to where I needed to be so I had to go very slowly. Once I realized that it made it very easy.

Millions of people have had RAI. Millions of people take Synthroid with no problem. I was lucky enough to find a woman online who told me she had RAI 5 years before and the only difference she could tell was she takes a pill each morning.

I did go hypo 2 months after.. I did gain 4. pounds but lost it when I increased the synthroid.

My Graves antibodies returned to normal. It never attacked another body part as the scare sites say.

So I take synthroid, which by the way is a hormone, not a drug. Levothyroxine is the number one prescription in the USA. Think about that... the most prescribed thing.... My life is normal.

• Posted

I did 2 years ago. Besides not having any contact with anyone for a few days, everything went well. My thyroid was completely deactivated within 4-5 weeks. I then became severely hypo... TSH shot to 78. My body ached, and I was extremely exhausted. I gained some unwanted pounds too from being hypo.

I chose RAI because, according to my endocrinologist, I had been sick for a really long time and my TSI was dangerously high. I have a small child wanted it taken care of quickly. Whichever route you choose, do your research.

• Posted

hi krissilu..have u had your thyroid radiated already??.im 44yrs old male.i will have RAI 2 weeks from now..mine was due to hyperactive single nodule..bloodtest all within range..but symptoms wont go away like 24/7 dizziness..fatigue..always panic mode..I want to know from anyone who has had RAI already who is better hypo or hyper..??pleaseee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.