Rage at Times

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on citalopram about nine moths now, I take 20 mg, can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong, most of the time I go out in car I'm a different person, otherwise some days I'm a monster, it's like someone has taken over me, I'm not like that all the time, I can be a good road user.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

dont think its the meds. im on 40 mg . been on em for 8 years  maybe its not the citalopram brian.  we all get those kind of days .   
  • Posted

Hi Brian.  If when you're in the car you are calmer and more focussed, maybe it's because you have something to concentrate on and your attention is taken up in doing something which requires that concentration.  Possibly even because driving is something you like doing.  Are you less stressed and anxious doing any other focussed activities other than driving? If on 20mg you are still having ups and downs, say manic behaviour, its possible the dose needs to be amended or even swapping you to a different medication which will even  you out more.  Do talk it through with your doctor, it can sometimes take a while to get you on the right meds and the right dosage level.
  • Posted

I used to take Seroxat long before Citalopram, and found I had dreadful rages at times which wasn't like me at all.  I don't get this at all on Citalopram.  I think some people react differently to different SSRI's.

In the meantime, when driving try some soft classical music on or something soothing maybe?  I know my driving is different depending on the music.  If pop, blaring, loud irritating music is on, I find myself tearing around, drumming my fingers, stressed, yet classical soothes me and I drive like I don't give a stuff :-)  Often I don't have the radio on at all as it grates on my nerves.  If I'm in someone else's car I get irritated with their music grrrrrrrr.

Maybe take Kalms tablets before you go out driving.  Have a chat with your doctor about it too.

But definitely for me, I felt better on a different medication.

K x

• Posted

I so agree with you about the music kate - I have my car radio tuned to classic FM, which seems to keep me calm and not distract me either.  If I'm in my partner's car he often has talk radio or Radio 4 and I find myself getting very irritated and lose concentration on my driving too. Strange eh.
    • Posted

Oh that's so true Loxie :-)  I think when our nerves are on edge with this illness, noise can feel more exaggerated and grate on our nerves more.  Screechy music really makes my nerves crazy :-).

Listening to classical is just so soothing ......... I seem to notice how much more pretty the countryside is, yet to screechy music I don't really notice anything and drive frantically trying to get to my destination quickly - just does my head in, lol.

I think all cars should be made to listen to classical music - perhaps there'd be a drop in road rage :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.