RAI due in 2weeks..Want honest feelings about Levothyroxin.DO you feel normal again?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone..im male 44 years old. hyperthyroid from hot nodule. I will have my RAI in 2weeks time..Please those who has rai or surgery already and using levothyroxine.. Can you pls tell me how you feel ? Can i ever be normal again? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ed, Not to worry. My husband has been on Levothyroxine for a couple of years and he says he feels fine.

• Posted

thanks so much arlea..i just want to become normal again..its so hard to swap an illness to another illness..so i want to know if hypo is indeed easier to manage..

• Posted

does your husband has hypothyroid?or he killed his thyroid because he is hyper before? thanks

• Posted

No, he was hypo. I was hyper, and i have discussed this with my endocrinologist. i am ready to have my thyroid killed. I will take Levothyroxine for the rest of my life. I am very confident in doing this.

• Posted

I had a hemi thyroidectomy, a few months ago, they just removed the side of the thyroid with the hot nodule, because it was huge. My thyroid settled after, and I'm currently on no meds at all. My remaining thyroid is doing OK. But I was told that taking levothyroxine is much safer and better on the body than taking the anti thyroid meds for hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

thanks so much panda2life..yes i have read that also that levo is safer than atm..but i saw many many comments from users of levo on youtube that it was doing nothing for them..no energy.joint pains.poor quality of life..so im scared..i want to live an active life again.

• Posted

Most people on levo, have autoimmune hypothyroidism, that means they are also likely to experience other symptoms with it. Did they tell you that you'd definitely need it after rai? You might not. And you can try taking t3 with levo if it's just not working for you. You might need some time to adjust after you are no longer hyper either way. I've been hyper so long, that my new normal thyroid levels didn't feel normal to me and I felt hypo. Actually I still do somewhat just not so much. It will take time. But I think you'll adapt.

• Posted

Hi Edward

I had RAI due to nodule causing hyperthyroid. I was put on 75 mcg Levothyroxine and now down to 50 mcg and bloods are 'normal'.

I am able to do all usual activities and feel good with stable mood. I do get hot at night and wake early but this may be because of my sex and age 62 F

Two tips which worked for me. Take Levothyroxine in early hours 3/4 am

and try and find pharmacist to give you Mercury Pharma brand

It may take some weeks to get the dosage right but the future is bright and you will feel loads better

• Posted

wow judyteen thanks so much for the assurance..its so comforting to hear those who have gone thru dis path and still living a wonderful life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.