RAI/Graves disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had Radiation therapy for hperthyroidism (Graves Disease) 8 days ago. I have felt cold/hot, and nausea on and off. The hot/cold has tapered off but nausea remains. Should it last this long?

M

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

I had my RAI 4 months ago, I had some slight discomfort in my throat,but no nausea. I suspect it will wear off pretty soon. If not see your GP. The only real side effect for me so far is that I feel great. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Did you have any nodules ?

What were  your blood reports like?

• Posted

Hi Cindy

No nodules, but long standing Graves disease (24 years) with three relapses, the last one being horrendous which I never want to experience again. TSH <.00.01, free t4-32.7 and free t3-13.7. tpo antibodies -163 at the outset. following ptu 100mgs twice a day, symptoms initially got worse with propanolol added to control the cardiovascular symptoms. symptoms gradually settled but the side effects of ptu were not pleasant. i was apprehensive but ready for what is called 'definitive' treatment..6 weeks post rai t3 and t4 within normal ranges with tsh still low. at 4 months post rai all levels normal. next bloods in 10 weeks, i am conscious that i may experience post rai drop, but will cross that bridge if and when it happens. i have also regained my weight loss (around 8lbs) returned to my pilates class and just feel well again. i hope this helps?

free="" t4-32.7="" and="" free="" t3-13.7.="" tpo="" antibodies="" -163="" at="" the="" outset.="" following="" ptu="" 100mgs="" twice="" a="" day,="" symptoms="" initially="" got="" worse="" with="" propanolol="" added="" to="" control="" the="" cardiovascular="" symptoms.="" symptoms="" gradually="" settled="" but="" the="" side="" effects="" of="" ptu="" were="" not="" pleasant.="" i="" was="" apprehensive="" but="" ready="" for="" what="" is="" called="" 'definitive'="" treatment..6="" weeks="" post="" rai="" t3="" and="" t4="" within="" normal="" ranges="" with="" tsh="" still="" low.="" at="" 4="" months="" post="" rai="" all="" levels="" normal.="" next="" bloods="" in="" 10="" weeks,="" i="" am="" conscious="" that="" i="" may="" experience="" post="" rai="" drop,="" but="" will="" cross="" that="" bridge="" if="" and="" when="" it="" happens.="" i="" have="" also="" regained="" my="" weight="" loss="" (around="" 8lbs)="" returned="" to="" my="" pilates="" class="" and="" just="" feel="" well="" again.="" i="" hope="" this="" helps?="">

>

• Posted

Thanks for your reply It is much appreciated. My  tsh went to 0.04. Not done for several weeks.The last time was 0.37. t4 16.5.

Anttibodies not done for over one year.

I know what you mean about the attack being horrendous and not ever wanting to go through it again.

Unless one has theen it is impossible to describe just how bad this condition actually is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.