RAI now I feel hyper again

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my RAI treatment on 25th October, and restarted my Carbimazole a week ago. I really feel more hyper than I did before the treatment. Over the months of taking Carbimazole I began to feel better, but now all the symptoms seem to be coming back.

Is this correct, I've read that sometimes the symptoms get worse, but I'm begining to wonder when I will feel better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why have they put you back on Carb ?

When I had RAI I stopped the Carb 2 weeks before and didn't take any afterwards, only Steroids in case of eye problems.

Are you sure you are getting Hyper symptons ? both Hyper and Hypo can be the same, especially increased heart rate, tiredness and no temp control.

Within a couple of weeks of the RAI I was very Hypo and have been since, now on Thyroxine.

Do you have a follow up appt with your Endo for around 6 weeks ? you will need to have bloods done to see what your levels are.

• Posted

Hi! I'm having RAI soon. I have to go on steroids for two weeks before and two weeks after incase of eye problems. I have to stop the Carbimazole and Thyroxine one week before the RAI, and then restart the Thyroxine one week after. I haven't to restart the Carbimazole. I can't understand why you've restarted it. I think you should check it out with your doc.

Take care.

Marigold

• Posted

Hi all,after seeing my consultant today he said all my thyroid levels tsh t3 and t4 have all come right down to just below or within normal range,he is still awaiting my antibodies results for graves so cudnt really tell me what has caused my thyroid to become hyper,he has put me in for rai drink within a month but did say it was my decision and i could stay on tablets for longer.After reading different opinions and reactions to rai i am beginning to worry and wonder if ive done the right thing.
  • Posted

Hi, As you know i had rai in feb & had to come off carbimazole 10 days before treatment but, i also had to restart carbs 7 days after treatment at a dose of 5 mg daily. I took this dose for 4 weeks then had bloods which showed me to be hypo so, was then taken off carbs & started on 50 mg throxine. I dont know why i had to restart carbs but, just did as advised maybe its a new thing? or just depends what part of country your from? interesting though how different endos treat us really makes you feel like you are in safe hands lol. Elaine.
  • Posted

Elaine 1

I was interesting to read you went back on Carbimazole, I am being treated by the Oxford Centre at the **** Hospital.

I understood that there is a possibility that as the RAI works it can release stored thyroxine, hence why the put you back on the carbimazole until the follow up blood test and hospital appointment.

After I first posted I am feeling much calmer now so maybe something is happing to the thyroid, I understand that it can take different times for different people and what they are being treated for. Mine is a toxic multi nodula goitre and hyperthyroidism.

Bebi

[color=red:4de0db7ee3][size=9:4de0db7ee3][i:4de0db7ee3][b:4de0db7ee3](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/b:4de0db7ee3][/i:4de0db7ee3][/size:4de0db7ee3][/color:4de0db7ee3]

• Posted

Hi, Snap i also go to the **** in oxford my endo is **** i think thats how you spell it lol Like i said earlier treatment depends on part of the country your from. So, here in oxfordshire this is there way. Elaine. Ps i have Graves which also caused my Hyperthyroidism.

[color=blue:54f2973bbc][size=9:54f2973bbc][i:54f2973bbc][b:54f2973bbc](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/b:54f2973bbc][/i:54f2973bbc][/size:54f2973bbc][/color:54f2973bbc]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.