RAI Treatment and eye problems.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have been told that I can go ahead with RAI. I've seen an opthalmologist who said my eyes are protruding, but this is from when I had Graves previously. He doesn't think the disease is affecting my eyes at the moment. even though the Graves has recurred. I'm still worried about having the treatment. Has anyone had problems with their eyes before having RAI, and did they have problems afterwards?

Marigold.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marigold

I had RAI about 8 years ago after Graves returned some 30+ years after it first got me, both times it was uncontrolled by Carb or block and replace.

Anyway I had no eye probs before RAI apart from slight itchyness but my Consultant prescribed me Steroids to take immediately after the RAI to prevent any eye problems starting. Had them for about 12 weeks I think.

Might be worth asking about it.

RAI is a doddle, go to hosp, take a pill, go home and get on with your life, just need to limit close contact for a couple of weeks.

You may well be Hypo afterwards, I was but it's easier to manage than

Graves.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for your reply. My Graves returned after 40 years! I'm doing fine on block and replace, but I know I can't stay on Carbimazole for ever.

That's interesting about the steroids. Were you on a low dose, and did you have any side effects?

Marigold.

• Posted

I seem to remember I started on 12 tabs a day then slowly decreased until I came off them, I had no side effects at all.

It appears some Consultants give Steroids and others don't but I would ask about it.

Al the best.

• Posted

Hi Marigold,As you know i had rai in feb it was the best thing to do & i dont regret it but, i have noticed a change in my eyes mainly more dryness & vision not as good but, i can always get glasses!!!!!!!!! Anyway good luck. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine. Thanks for your reply. I already have glasses!!!!! smile I don't really think I have a choice. The worst part will be not seeing our granddaughter for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.