raised antibodies,mildly underactive thyroid

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi

i've recently been diagnosed with mildly underactive thyroid and raised antibodies, im now on 25mg eltroxin.

what are raised antibodies?i know what underactive thyroid is but never heard of raised antibodies.

also my dad has underactive thyroid but was out on 100mg eltroxin. is 25mg going to have any effect on me?

im really confused.id really appreciate any help-thanks

laura

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Laura, how do you feel? How long have you been on meds? 
    • Posted

hi sorry for delay-

im absolutely wrecked-weak-depressed because of how lifeless i feel, cant get enjoyment from things as so tired-work leaves me exhausted. I've askd doctor to raise my eltroxin to 50mg but she said no that i need to see how 25mg works. been on 25mg for4-5 weeks but absolutely no improvementsmile

• Posted

Hi Laura. Thyroxine is almost always started on a low level of 25mg and gradually raised as needed. Testing for the presence of antibodies is used to determine the possiblity of potential autoimmune disease eg. hashimoto"s thyroiditis. It is said to occur in approximately 90% of those diagnosed hypothyroid. 
    • Posted

hi jennifer-thanks for reply- so does this mean that if my antibodies are raised im more likely to develop hashimotos?and what is that?thanks
    • Posted

Hi Laura. Hashimoto"s thyroiditis is a autoimmune disorder where your body attacks your thyroid thinking it is a foreign entity to be rid of. You may have it but get no symptoms for quite some time, or the presence of antibodies could go away. GP's on the whole have little understanding of autoimmunity and can do little more than provide levothyroxine as therapy. Dietary changes and supplements can help a lot. There is lots of information online. Best wishes...

Jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.