Raised Cholesterol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, recently had my annual bupa health assessment and my cholesterol has risen from 5.1 to 6.5 in a year. It was at 6.5 four years ago and I have managed to lower it but was surprised it had risen so much. I started drinking coffee just over a year ago so could this be one possible reason? 

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A lot could depend on the amount of coffee and how it is made. If you drink one cup a day and it is flitered, as most is, might not be the cause of increased numbers.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have two a day sometimes three.  I have a mixture of filtered and from the jar. I have changed my eating diet also so hoping i will see a change.
    • Posted

I took Nexium for years, not realizing how it can mess up the body. I weaned myself off and have continued to monitor what and when I eat certain food items. Coffee within 6 hours of going to bed isn't good for me. I drink no more than 2 cups a day and not every day.

I take DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice)  - 500 mg capsules, in the morning and it does help. I used to get the chewable tables but they didn't work as well. It's an herbal supplement and doesn't interfere with other supplements I take.

I know that some foods, for me, are triggers for the reflux so I will avoid them most of the time. Some dairy also bothers me.

• Posted

oops. I realized I added something that was supposed to be for a different conversation. No idea how to delete it. Sorry about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.