Raised IgA but doc says not to worry :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys

Has anybody ever had a raised IgA before? I have been tested for coeliac disease. However, all my results have come back as normal (IgA tissue transglutaminase has been reported as negative). But my IgA is always out of range (should be between 0.6-4.50 and mine was 4.79 previously. In view of the abnormal result they tested all my immunoglobulins which were all normal but my total IgA was 5.29 (should be 0.6-4.5).

When i google raised IgA it brings up all scary diseases (myeloma etc). My doc ordered more bloods just to investigate further and they have all come back normal (FBC, ESR, CRP, rheumatoid bloods etc). He said becaome my FBC and serum electrophorosis (whatever that is) is normal he can rule out myeloma (cancer).

Just really worried. Could i have a gluten sensitivity which could cause a raised IgA?? Im having sleepless nights about this thinking ive got some sort of cancer that the doc is missing.

my symptoms are: Weight loss (around 8lb in 10 months), increased wind causing occasional bloating, borderline ferritin, dizziness, headaches, hair shedding, tingling pains in calf. Also not sure if this is of any significance but when i go to the toilet now it always floats (never used to). Im 30 years old and female btw and my only other diagnosis is asthma. Could asthma cause raised IgA?

thank you for reading and if anyone could help i would be so grateful x

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi nicola. Not sure about Iga. However, your hematologist seems to be trying to figure it  out. I had an enlarged spleen upon my diagnosis with pV. I have lots of burping and bowel movements are always urgent. I believe it may be caused by the nlarged spleen . I've gottenu sed to it. I'm sure yourdo ctor will figure it out.

Harrishill

• Posted

Hello Jayne are you still on here? I have similar symptoms and iga result wondered if you ever got to the final cause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.