Raised liver function

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had rheumatoid for 32 years and been on etanercept for the last approx 10 years. I had my methotrexate injections dosedoubled in march after a particularly bad flare up after surgery for shoulder replacement. Have never been happy on methotrexate it makes me feel quite sick and wipes me out for 2 days. I have been feeling rough for last 2 weeks and after a blood test weds got a call from hospital to say liver function test was 90. So told to. Stop all meds for 2 weeks. Am a bit worried as feel quite exhausted and heart seems to be going a little fast. Also feel quite depressed no interest in anything . Any comments welcome 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel about the MTX.  I have the same symptoms....it makes me feel sick, I feel so fatigued and exhausted and it upsets my stomach.  I feel like my symptoms from the medicine are worse than my symptoms from the disease.  I can't believe there is not something out there that can work better without making you feel so sick.  I dread the day of the week I have to take it because I know I am going to be down for 2 days after that and I have to make it thru the workdays.  I keep telling my RA doctor how sick it makes me feel and he just tells me to keep taking my folic acid.  My brother keeps telling me to just stop the meds but I am scared to.  I have a former boss with RA and her hands are so deformed even though she is on the meds regularly.  I also have the depression issue and I have never been depressed before. I am glad you told your story because I have felt very alone and thought these symptoms/feelings where all in my head.  I am very sorry you are feeling this way too.  I wish I had some amazing advice to give you but I do not.  I wish you the best in your fight with RA.

• Posted

Weren't you worried infection with the shoulder replacement? I was told I need a shoulder replacement too this week we are worried about infection

• Posted

Ted - just to re-assure you, I have had a double hip replacement, 15 months apart, and both times Dr's said they could cope with the MTX and infection control.

I did notice and the other patients in the room noticed I was treated a little differntly, I was dressed in bright purple gown, purple sheets, every time the nurses came to see me they were dressed in extra aprons and purple gloves, and I was told i was Cyto Toxic, and was treated a little differently, but not put in a private room.

I was told that the purple bin in the room was only for me and not to use any other, even for blowing my nose, otherthan that no diffenece, and no infection thank goodness.

Left knee is now on the way out, not looking foward to surgery, but not worried about surgery either, know I will be looked after.

Only differnce I took it upon myself not to take my weekly MTX dose 3 days before my surgery, no instructions, but a big sigh of relief from the surgery staff when i told them that, also with 1st surgery, MTX due Friday night, surgery 24 hours previous, refused to take MTX, had to explain to nurse why, just felt so unwell, and adding MTX which makes me feel unwell as well, I decided not a good idea.

I figured out later when i could not eat or drink without vomiting, that they had given me Morphine which I cannot tolerate, even though I had told them prior to surgery.

• Posted

Hi ted the thought of infection never entered my head, I had been in so much pain with both shoulders for a few years and my op was cancelled 3 times, so I was glad to just get it over with. 
  • Posted

Hi carole78111,

So sad to hear you have had RA for so long, the Methetraxate will rais your liver count as it did with me, luckerly i am of it now, as you have said it made me quite unwell too.  The Etanercept mad me very ill indeed and had to come off it within 2 weeks, i found this made my heart pump a bit so i would not worry about that. RA has a nasty habbit of coursing fatigue as it does with me...so again this is part of the condition. And Ra is such a debilitating desease that at time i feel quite low and down sometimes...........i find if i occupie my mind with something ,even if it is watching something on TV ,  or messing with my potted plants , i soon come around a bit. It is good also you have others like your self to talk to on here, chin up and try to be brave .....Andy.

• Posted

Thank you thank you stretchy for your message and support. Usually I am a very strong person and have managed my ra ok, but for the last 4-5 years have suffered with cramps or spasms in my legs and feet which can get me out of bed up to 3 times per night. Doc says I am just unlucky in that I suffer from cramp, I believe it is not normal to have cramp5 nights per week and up 3 times per night. And rarely get a good nights sleep, so that adds to the fatigue I get with ra anyway. Have appointment with doc in 3 weeks time !! To discuss this and will not give up till I have an answer . 
    • Posted

Hey, no worries, we are all suffer with some form of problem or another as it is the traight of RA, i am not sure of your diet ...meaning ....take my mom for instance.. she has this thing with salt and sugar , so i have to add a little salt to my meals as i know my mom will cook without it, it is a known fact that a lack of salt can lead to cramps, if like us you cook proper meals and not processed than add a little more salt in to your dieat for a while and see if this will help.....Andy.
  • Posted

You have been thru a great deal recently with the fairly recent shoulder surgery and increase in MTX.   

Consider asking for a low dose of medication for depression.  That has helped me a great deal.  I think depression and anxiety are part and parcel of this whole disease.   Be sure to talk to your doctor about your concerns 

• Posted

Some interesting points raised I this conversation. I had a knee replacement December 2016. I was advised to stop Humiras 6weeks prior, but could continue the Methotrexate as it would remain in the system some time anyway. I did, however, have some persistent chest infections and a UTI post op so had to stop that too. Struggled to clear the infections.

I never felt poorly immediately after taking the Mtx (or the Humira) but I have come off the mtx now because it has caused lung fibrosis and although this is resolving I won't restart the mtx. I also feel more research to develop newer and safer drugs is needed. I admit I was told of the risks but you don't think it will happen to you. It was scary! It's a viscous circle isn't it? You're in pain which understandably affects your mood. When you feel low you're less able to cope with the physical side of it. That's how I feel anyway. It is good, even therapeutic, to share things on here. I wish you all well and look forward to reading all your comments. Carol x (uk)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.