Raised mcv

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for 4 months now is helping with joints and pain but MCV rising fast last one 104 just asking if anyone in similar situation and what has happened many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sez. What does MCV reading refer to? Not well up on the terminology. I'm on hydroxychloroquine and etanercept and doing well.

• Posted

80 - 96 in normal range, is the Dr worried, then I would not worry, if it was hugely different that's a worry, but its not.

?Have you tried eliminating ALL WHEAT, I cannot believe the difference it has made for me, even my bloods the best they have been in 14 years, I noticed the difference within 24 hours, I was just not as sore, and my hands which are usually badly swollen started to settle, even more reason to carry on with lack of wheat, which is a real pain for me, I love the odd slice of toast, NONONONONO I keep telling myself.

Silly me I wasn't even brave enough when I saw the rheumo this week to tell her its the lack of wheat that has made the huge difference, grrrrr I am so angry with myself that it has taken me this long to figure it out, rather than her drugs.

?Can lack of wheat do you any harm, I doubt it, again be sensible about diet changes, but maybe worth a try, but be really strict with yourself for a couple of days to see if it does help.

I have been able to drop all but leflunomide, and I'm only taking that every 2nd day as side effects not good for me, if I take any more.

• Posted

How about rice, do you think it has the same effect as wheat? Thanks in advance. And to cherylnanny, MCV = mean corpuscular volume.
    • Posted

Rice is my cereal of choice, I also notice I can also eat Oats, but don't push with toooo much.  Lots of fruit and veges, am also starting to wonder about tomatoes and potatoes as they are in the same family, need to have a big feed of tomatoes over a couple of days and see how I feel to clear up if its an issue or not.

• Posted

Hi. Have you had your vitamin B12 checked and are you anaemic? 

Red blood cells shrink, die, and then get replaced. If you've recently lost blood for any reason, this can raise your MCV because new cells are bigger than old ones. Alcohol can also raise your MCV. Given your medication, I assume you're not a heavy drinker or a blood donor though. But if it's persistently high and rising then B12 deficiency/pernicious anaemia probably needs to be ruled out. 

• Posted

Hi yes b12 normal. Alcohol safe unit intake no feed back from pharmacist who is monitoring results not contacted me so not a concern to the team yet .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.