Raised PSA

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello. I don't think I've been here before, but have a quick query. My Dr felt my prostate and said it was slightly enlarged due to my age. He said that was normal. No sign of any cancer. I'm 71. The query is that my latest PSA test was 5.3, which is still within the normal range, but about twice other readings over the last 5 years or so. I read that the increase may be due to age, recent ejaculation, the slight enlargement as it produces more cells (?) and the fact that I have testosterone injections every 3 weeks, the last one being literally 30 minutes before the blood test. 

I'm not toooooo worried, but any thoughts? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I've lived for several years now with PSA around 8 and a diagnosis of Cancer. I'm now 66. What matters is how your PSA score changes (or not) over a number of tests. If it stays stable. there's very little to worry about. If it shoots up, no doubt your doctor will refer you for more investigations.

• Posted

Is there a good medical reason for the testosterone injections?

"There's also, at least, a theoretical risk (with testosterone) of increasing the risk of prostate cancer or, if people have prostate cancer, of making it grow faster," Halperin said. "If you're going to start somebody on testosterone, part of the protocol is to check their prostate and check the PSA (a blood test for prostate cancer) to make sure it's not elevated - the feeling is if you were going to put somebody on testosterone, you want to make sure they don't have an obvious prostate cancer."

• Posted

Thanks Pepasan and Derek. The low testosterone level was found a few years ago, possibly as a result of trauma and excessive alcohol when much younger. I stopped all alcohol over 10 years ago. It's the first time the PSA level has gone over 5, it's usually 2.5 ish. It's not tested very often. There's been no mention of cancer and I have a digital exam once a year. The PSA is still easily in the normal range too. I'll have a chat to my Dr this week. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac I think, especially after a bowel cancer scare and surgery 40 months ago! 

• Posted

A friend of mine in America was precribed testosterone by one of his doctors and he felt a new man. However when another doctor did blood tests she told him that his blood had thickened so much that he was in danger of a stroke.
    • Posted

Thanks. The Complete Blood Count Master results this week were all normal. But it's another question for the Dr on Thursday! 

• Posted

I was talking to my doctor several months ago regarding a raised PSA level. We both have a raised PSA. He thought his was caused mostly by the use of testosterone injections, which in his view, could feed the PCa,if present.(for many years he was a weight lifter) When I saw him last week and asked him how he was going, he said he stopped the injections as a precaution and has not had a retest done. He does not want to know!! He is more of the view if you have a PCa, then so be it.

I was recently invited to join a group testing the use of testosterone, but because I had a raised PSA, they said there was a possible increased risk of "making a prostate cancer situation worse" and they would not accept me on the cohort.

So, unless you have a very very good reason for the testosterone, I would quit it...very soon.   

• Posted

That would do it If you don't have any problem peeing I would just leave it alone  Ken

• Posted

Hi Kenneth. No, I don't have any problems peeing or any other symptoms. I was just curious about the PSA reading of 5.3 ug/L The range given is 0.0 to 6.4. I've been having testosterone injections for the last 8 years. Sorry, but what would you leave alone as you mentioned in your reply? Thanks for replying. 

• Posted

Well if your not having any problem I would not worry.  PSA can go up and down for many reason.  The testosterone injections. Sex riding a bike.  They do say if uare going for a PSA blood test  No sex for 48 hours.  The PSA range is 4.0 and lower that is want my urologist told me but every man is different.  Just relax  Ken
    • Posted

I'll try to relax! I have been going to a councellor to work out why I have health anxiety. Amazing the things I told her, covering about 65 years! Strange how the PSA ranges are different. I'll just be happy that they said mine was ok and will go the Dr with my list of questions. Luckily for me, he is very patient. Thanks again. John. 

• Posted

I think if you search the internet you'll find that many, most?, doctors recommend not getting PSAs after the age of 70.  At that age, the treatment is usually far worse than having a little cancer confined to your prostate.

• Posted

I've been on Testosterone for several years now.  My PSA has actually been going down.  A year prior to starting testosterone injections I had an acute bacterial prostatitis that sent my PSA from a baseline of .3 all the way up to 9.  a year later it was in the 3's and then dropped to the 2's on my last test.

• Posted

Thoughts, 

Do not have a standard 12 needle Blind Biosy done by your Uro. Have a 3 T MRI done of the prostate and send it to one of the great Interventional Radiologist specializing in prostate cancer to review it. They will know and will tell you if and where you need a specfic one needle focal biopy done using a guided needle and an MRI.  

This is what I did. Then with no cancer, I had them remove the tissue that was causing my BPH. Very successful procedure for me. 

Main thing is stay away from those Urologist biopsies if you can and there are options. 

John

• Posted

My uro was hot to do a biopsy due to PSA at 13(from avg of 2.4) and PSA free and PHI tests saying very high chance of prostate cancer. I had a mpMRI carried out and read by a radiologist, and my uro who both teache reading MRI for PCa...and the result was no meaningful PCA and no lesions, only prostatitus from a severe UTI.
  • Posted

I found this chart which made me feel better. 
    • Posted

I don't think you can see the chart. sad

• Posted

The chart is readable when I click on it.
    • Posted

Oh. I can see it now. Didn't know it did that. Thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.