Raising dose after trying to come off

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. I hope you may be able to shed some light on my situation. I have been taking bisoprolol for around a year now, since having a valve replacement. Initially on 2.5 mg and then about 6 months ago I lowered gradually with the GP permission to 1.25. I should point out that I started suffering panic attacks about 9 months ago. Which I now think bisoprolol may have had a hand in. However a few weeks ago I spoke to the GP with regards to coming off altogether. He told me I could just stop them it would be fine. However I didn't do that, instead I split the tabs in two and took one half per day. All was well for a couple of days. Soon though I started to feel very anxious and lightheaded. Also as if shaking inside. And my breathing was not great either. So I upped the dose the following day and since then it has gradually got a little better. I am five days into the full dose now and still don't feel quite as good as I did before lowering to the half dose. I have spoken to another GP to ask how long it will take before I get back to where I was before. I don't think she knew really. I also asked if maybe I should take I little more than 1.25 just to get the level up so I feel better. I was told to stay with the 1.25 for a while longer. Well that's fine and I will but the days are are not comfortable as I feel weak and shaky as if I'm on the cusp of lightheadedness. My question to you guys is do you feel that more time is needed for the 1.25 to get back to where I was or after 5 days has it reached its full potential. Any advice would be appreciated. Gary. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well I have only been on it since March but hate the cough I’ve developed and sore throat all the time. I cut mine in half and from day one palpitations really bad so went back to normal the next day. Still getting palpitations but will see what it’s like tomorrow. I’ve realised this is a horrible drug to be on but it’s a catch 2 situation. 
    • Posted

Hi Elaine. Thanks for the reply. Have you tried magnesium for your palpitations. They fixed me when I had them. Really good for that. I YouTubed a cardiologist Sanjay Gupta who tells you all about it. Take a look. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi gary,

It can take some time for the side effects to wear off, they give this drug for anxiety as well, it will not happen overnight, you have to decide what is best for you.

I am not a fan of bisoprolol and believe there are better and safer drugs. Doctors are not the best people when it comes to drugs they are very one eyed about them and believe they know best even when you are telling them the drug is making you ill. I am a great believer in magnesium and know drugs leach your body of this vital mineral

As you have been on this drug for a year, you must know whether it has had a negative effect on your health and do not explain your reasons for stopping it.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for the reply. My main reason for stopping is firstly fatigue and secondly I don't want to have a beta blocker running the show for the rest of my life. Pre surgery I was told there would be no drugs to take afterwards, not even aspirin. That was by the surgeon. But that seems to have been nonsense. I shall wait then and see if the whole thing calms down. I do take a magnesium supplement by the way. Could you tell me what other/better drugs there are as alternatives should I need to bring this up with the GP in the future. Thanks. Gary 

• Posted

Hubby had heart attack in february and more stents in april, just after all his side effects (he had every one) started and made him very ill, he is now having a defribulator implanted next week. All this is very new to us and I am learning all the time, we have an appointment in two weeks when we can discuss drugs.

Put it out on this site and people who have changed drugs can give you advice on the best one to take if you need them.

• Posted

Thanks Jen. It's tough when you're new to it all and a real life changer. That's how I find it. I was a 53 year old in good shape and took plenty of exercise. One day I collapsed while riding my bicycle and was told I would not be able to leave hospital until I had undergone open heart surgery. That was a year ago. It's as much a life changer for my family as it is for myself. Good luck. Hope it works out well for you ASAP. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.