ramadol addiction my story help !

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm going to tell my story it's my first time on here . It started our when I was younger I had a difficult childhood and got into class a drugs when I was 16 I had a much older bf who I ended up having a baby with at 18 I then went 9f the rails until I met my now partner then I settled down and had another baby , my currant partner hates anything to do with drugs etc so I just stopped it all but then I became a carer and my mum was a nurse so growing up never just had the usual paracetamol 8 was always solpadol for headaches or something like that , I used to get tonsilitis every week to the point of hospitalisation I was on Co codamol 30/500 at the time but started taking 3 to get the same effect so the doc put ne on tramadol , I'd been on tramadol 4 months solid until I had my tonsils removed I thought of every single way and excuse possible to stay on the tablets until I ran out over Xmas and the doctor wouldn't see me fir another week the only way to get more was to say I'm addicted I need it to get me through till my appointment ..I can't even begin to explain how they make me feel coming from a mum with two kids and two jobs who suffer with anxiety and depression these magical tablets just make it all disappear they make going to work and doing grueling long shifts bare able and a lot more calm to be honest the similar effects that cochineal used to have on me so iv now become addicted to prescription drugs instead of illegal ..iv had the worst side effects from cold turkey starting to worry I have seretonin syndrome ..what's bad is because I no about medicine I no what to say exactly to the doctor to get what prescription I want I managed to get a bottle of morphine ( wich iv now poured down the sink ) after my op ..I don't want to stop taking them the thought of actually having to do it without them us horrible but ther not helping my body either my stomach is already wrecked iv got no lining in it from a amitriptyline overdose when I was 16 so I get gastrointestinal hemeorages so these tablets go straight into my blood stream as thers no barrier ..I'm. In a right mess 

B xx

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Aww sweetie .....I think the only thing that you can really do to keep yourself safe and healthy is to take this post and read it to your dr.  Saying that....as a Tramadol user myself Im not sure if I would have the courage to do it!  The thought of coming completely away from Tramadol is terrifying!   Using tapering I have managed to reduce my intake by nearly half-not sure if I will ever be off the completely as I have ongoing disc problems in my back.  

I am waiting for ultrasound results for my liver as I have been getting a lot of abdominal pain and fear it is damaged from prolonged use of these

pills 😞. 

You have 2 children and need to keep yourself as healthy as possible for them.  Your doctor should be able to help.

I posted on here about my story of Tramadol addiction and recived some good advise-have a look.

Take care and good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Beth,

There are many people who are stuck on Tramadol, myself included and like you I also take Amitriptyline. Both of these drugs in my case, Consultant Neurologists, Pain Management Doctors and my own General Practioner are all trying various methods of getting me off these 2 drugs.

Overall, in a day I take over 30+ tablets a day including the aforementioned, I'm down to 150mg of Tramadol and 20mg Amitriptyline a day, the rest of the medications I'm on are for controlling numerous problems which was caused by an accident nearly 30 years ago.

The Tramadol and Amitriptyline are used mainly in my case for pain relief, the problem with them is the side-effects, tiredness, hallucinations, nightmares, falling asleep, but thats what it looks like to anyone around me, yet I feel I am awake, this causes many strange things to happen, I can be asleep while eating (chances of choking), etc. The Tramadol does work as a good painkiller, but with one problem, I suffer from seizures not just Epilepsy, but Functional Seizures as well - If you actually look up both of these drugs neither should be prescribed to Epileptics. So, now I am stuck in a situation where they have to get me off both, which isn't easy because I'm allergic to codeine as well.

My Consultant Neurologist is taking a different approach, which is decreasing the period between BOTOX injections - these hurt a lot, at the moment I'm on 5 injections in a 10 week period. Then decreasing the Tramadol and Amitriptyline, which are being used on me as painkillers only, not depression. At the moment, I got to get the Tramadol lowered by another 50mg from next Sunday, most people say that's easy, obviously they have either never been on this drug, or they've been mis-informed. The stupid part is both of them were prescribed to me by a locum GP, in fact it was the same one for both. Obviously, she didn't read my health records or the problems I suffer from, because I should not have thought I would be on them. At first I was told upto 8 Tramadol a day, and the same applies to Paracetamol, and 2 x 10mg Amitriptyline at night.

You are not alone Beth, by a long way - there is many of us on these forums suffering from Tramadol and addiction, the worse I've seen was a guy on 40 Tramadol a day and would do anything to get them - it's a shame what these prescribed medications can do to people, you would think twice if you knew what you know now. I actually take them for pain in my neck, shoulder and arm muscles. The BOTOX is an injection that only Neurologists give to people that suffer from muscular problems, which is why I got the pain now from a condition called Dystonia.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

hi beth-first question do you want to give them up(Tramadol)- i was addicted to both Tramadol and Codiene - prescribed for pain following back and shoulder surgery- i ended up abusing both in a big way- i was taking 20 tramadol and 20 solpodol a day- i really had to quit- they were destroying both my health and life in general-i did it cold turkey-it was a living hell for over two weeks- do not do it this way- get medical help, if you want to quit-you really need to want to quit this drug-it is very hard to quit because it is both mentally and physically addictive-it contains properties similar to some anti-depressants so this needs to be addressed as well when trying to quit- something like librium can be used -short term-to help with the WD's- if you do decide to quit- please talk to a /dr with experience in addiction- many DRs still do not recognise the addictive properties of Tramadol as it is marketed as beig non-addictive- UTTER B..l-S**t- it has recently been re-classified in the US to take this addictive property in to account-it was recently available in a number of states without prescription- be careful this is a dangerous drug to come off- you have the danger of having a seizure when coming off it- i am sorry if i have put you off trying to quit- that is not my intention- my life and health has improved greatly since i quit- i wish you the best of luck - you CAN beat this horendous drug-stay strong-
  • Posted

So sorry to hear what you are going through sad I resonated w/a lot of your story -- began my foray into drugs w/older bf @ 16, found myself on and off every perscription drug imaginable for about 5 years after that w/endless roller coasters. I've been off everything for about 2 years now, just had a baby girl 7 months ago smile

I found tramadol REALLY hard to kick! the antidepressant SNRI effects of the drug make it extremely difficult to get off of & cause a lot of brutal emotional side effects.  

You may find that a plant called Kratom might help? I've used it w/ alot of success to help a few friends coming off of tramadol & other SSRI's, as well as opiates.  It can be abused, but so can EVERYTHING under the sun -- it also might save your life in a difficult situation.  It is legal here in the US & the UK as well, though the FDA is starting to try to regulate it. (It has helped a lot of people end addictions to persciption drugs!!!) You can find it online as well, though do make sure to find a good vendor. Feel free to PM me if you want some more detailed advice. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor! just an herbalist w/a green thumb.

• Posted

Hey Beth, sorry to hear you're having such a rough time but don't be too hard on yourself. In the case of legal drugs there's the assumption that the drug itself is somehow blameless but it certainly felt to me that I was being abused by tramadol rather than the other way around. It's the perfect drug for the pharma companies - a drug you don't want to go come off because the withdrawl is so horrible.

The most important thing to breaking any addiction is breaking the mental addiction that prevents you from seeing the substance as the thing causing your problems. I have a history of addiction and there is nothing more cunning that your own mind at keeping you trapped. However once you've made a decision to escape anything is possible. I agree that in some ways that tramadol can appear magical but there are other very unmagical qualities that make it something I am pleased to be rid off.

I would definitely suggest getting advice from the medical profession, but you need to find someone who recognises the problems associated with tramadol. I quit by going cold turkey, which was effective but unpleasant (to say the least) - I woud recommend tapering your dose as soon as you can. There are also various alternative medicines that might help with the anxiety which could support you when you're ready to come off tramadol (such as gaba supplements and kratom) - I found lots of information in these forums which helped me form a battle plan for cleaning out.

I hope you find a way through that works for you. Keep your head up and look after yourself. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for all the advice seems that there is a light at the end of the tunnel , I did make an appointment at the doctors to come off it I think there starting to wonder now why I'm asking for them all the time , bit I missed the appointment I'd overlay subconsciously I think my brain had done it in on purpose I will try my hardest tho I'm trying to do other things like running and yoga to try and channel positive thoughts so I can channel this energy instead of going straight to tramadol really appreciate the advice 
  • Posted

To cut a long story short I ran out of tramadol Saturday night at work it's now Tuesday morning rang docs yesterday the arse receptionist told me I wasn't allowed any more as the 50 tablets they'd cut me down to was given to me 8 days ago now to me thts only 6 a day more than half of what I was on !! Iv never felt so ill in my entire life and iv had some pretty rough illnesses first of all I'm constantly twitching and shaking vomiting stomach cramps achy legs restless legs arms the fact I cnt sleep flu symptoms I'm exhausted finding it really difficult to look after my lil ones I'm an emotional mess ..told mum crying on the phone last night she's coming to get me to the docs today ..I go bk work weds night how the hell am.i guna get through a night shift like this .. x
  • Posted

Hi Bethmummy , i hope by now you have seen the Doc and he has given you something to help you with the withdrawls - if not go to your local A+E - it is dangerous to come off this drug suddenly - it is a horendous drug to try and quit - i managed to get off it last september - the withdrawls were terrible, both physical and mental - please do not put yourself through this - get help from either your own DR or someone who knows about addiction- this drug is not to be taken lightly - it has recently been reclassified in the US because of the problems people are having with it - it's sold as ULTRAM in the US - wish you well- its a tough battle but you will be far better off when you quit this horrible drug- keep posting how you are doing - best of luck -
  • Posted

Coming off of Tramadol is extremely tough.  The withdrawals are horrible, and they last for weeks.  But it is possible to stop taking it for good.  I was dumb enough to do it twice.  The only way to come off of Tramadol is to slowly taper off a little at a time.  If you have withdrawals, coming off cold turkey feels nearly impossible.  One of the worst withdrawals is the extreme restlessness, making it nearly impossible to sleep for weeks.  Tramadol stays in your system for a long time.  You will need to taper off slowly until you are down to a half a pill a day.  Then you may need to take that 1/2 pill for over a week until you are albe to come off it 100% and not have bad withdrawal symtems.  Or you can see how long you can eventually go without taking a pill, and then only take a 1/2 pill when you feel the withdrawal systems coming back.  Again, tramadol stays in your system a long time.  This is not a quick process, but I promise, it's doable! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.