Ramapril

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just started getting joint pain and insomnia and am on 2.5 Ramapril. Been on them for 3 years but these are new side effects. I have just been told that it depends on which chemist you get them from.

Anybody had this experience?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Heather,

Not had these effects yet but not been on the Ramapril as long as you have. However, a valid point has been made regarding the actual content of the medication. I have always believed that you get what you pay for. My Dad was a Pharmasist and so I was brought up in a Dispensary. He was  always going on about suppliers offering cheaper unbranded versions that may not contain all that is required to deal with the problem. The effectiveness of any medication is down to content and this, in turn, is down to cost. I am always wary of where I choose to get my medication from.

Dave

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you have been getting joint pain. I took Ramipril for a number of years and did not associate my joint pain with the medication. The only side effect I had been warned about was a dry cough which I did not have. It was only after coming across this forum that I found that other people had suffered joint pain. I stopped taking Ramipril, I told my GP that I would like to try controlling my blood pressure with lifestyle changes and supplements. So far my BP is averaging around148/85 (home measurements) which is not as low as I would like but I am continuing to lose weight which I hope will lower it.

I would suggest that you return to your GP and ask if you can go on an alternative medication i.e. calcium channel blocker perhaps.

• Posted

I was changed onto Ramipril 2.5 recently, and have suffered terrible joint and muscle pain with them, to the point that I have great difficulty going up and down stairs/steps.  I was on a cocktail of drugs for high blood pressure and high cholesterol and also Naproxin 500 for joint pain.  I have had to stop taking the Naproxin because they were making me ill.  Also I have stopped taking the cholesterol tablets too because of the fluid retention!   Why is it that tablets that are supposed to make you well, make you feel so bloomin' ill !!!

Before christmas I was only on Arthrotec (which apparently are not allowed) and I was full of energy and felt good.  Then they discovered high bp and cholesterol.  With all the tablets I am on and their side effects I have never felt so ill and depressed in all my life !!!

• Posted

beth64670..I'm very surprised you were taking Naproxen while on bp medications. Here in Canada that most definitely is NOT recommended.

The Naproxen can & usually does, elevate bp even more. You stopped taking it, because it was making you ill...no wonder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.