Ramipril 2.5 mg at the start

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just started on the above medication for HBP and I'm on 2 nd day. I find I'm distracted and dizzy. Heads spinning. 

Is this normal? I can hack it if these symptoms subside after a day or two, but couldn't last a whole dose of it.

advice please..

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi.....I felt the same to begin with but now take my one tablet a day later just before going to bed at night and now sleep away any symptoms of drowsiness.  Hope this helps...worth a try.  smile
    • Posted

Thx scampi46.

feel like I'm kinda not in control and distracted. Just awful. My doctor told me is the drop in BP and symptoms are due to my body not being used to it being this low so dramatically? 

• Posted

Jack,  hope you can tolerate Ramipril.  I think you are on the lowest dose with 10mg being the target.  You should have regular blood tests before having the dose increased to 5mg, then 7.5 and finally 10mg mainly to test kidney function I believe.

I stood it for a few months but was switched to Candesartan 2mg which has not been a problem for ME, but individuals vary so much with these BP drugs I would suggest you stress your discomfort with your doctor sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Have a record of your BP readings before and now?

Do you take anyother BP med? or other med. ?

If so check the drug on drug interaction.

But if in doubt I would stop taking and ask for an alternative

• Posted

Checked my BP after first day and it had gone down. 2nd day of taking them was slightly better than first day with the side effects. Just took 3rd days dose so will update how that went.

just a nightmare....

• Posted

Again..... do try taking the BP tablet at night.... I fell asleep last night and was about to take it first thing this morning then remembered my own advice.  smile
  • Posted

Jack, I was once told when starting a different BP medication to take it at night at first to avoid the risk of any sudden side effects following the initial starting dose.

I was unable to tolerate Ramipril in spite of giving in to my consultant's plea to give it a second go.  It made me feel very nauseous and just 'not right'.  And that was at the lowest dose of 2.5mg.  However, my hubby takes 5mg alongside a low dose of Amlodipine and is fine (increasing the dose of Amlodipine caused ankle swelling so the dose was reduced back to the starting dose but with low dose Ramipril added).  The latest thinking seems to be along the lines of treating raised BP with a couple of different drugs but at low doses rather than one drug at higher doses.

If your symptoms last more than a week, then I would ask for an alternative - Losartan Potassium is the one least complained about by his patients, according to my pharmacist.

• Posted

Hi all. Took my 3rd dose and all was fine through the initial 4-6 hours: no side effects. Until last night, I started getting a feeling all was not right which then turned into a hour of palpitations and anxiety. I was almost phoning an ambulance it was that bad. Eventually this resided, but it was the most uncomfortable I have ever felt. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I know I'm being dramatic, but that's what I felt like. Should I re contact my doctor?
  • Posted

Thx mrsO. Just spoke o doc and I've to stop them immediately and go see him on Tuesday. Just wish I hadn't took my dose this morning!!
    • Posted

Drink plenty of water, Jack - it might just help to flush it out of your system faster.  And at the risk of being unpopular with some, if you drink coffee and alcohol, try leaving them out for a few days!  Both can aggravate palpitations.  If you feel them coming on, drink a glass of cold water - it has worked for me in the past.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I do enjoy a glass of wine, but have no intentions going near it at the mo. on Decaf coffee too smile has anybody any recommendations as to what doc should be putting me on? My blood pressure was raised to to stress related trauma (found a friend who had hung himself). 
  • Posted

the anxiety and depression are known side effects of ramiprill. If you feel like a glass of wine, take it( but not cafein) because it will settle you down. After I threw away the ramipriprill I went on to amlodipine which gave no trouble but not effective, then candersarten was added afterwards. Both should be taken during the morning for the days activities, I think BP will fall naturally at night anyway.
  • Posted

My mum has high BP and is on water tablets. They work for her so I'm gonna ask doc about them.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your friend - stress can have an awful effect on the body.  There are so many different BP pills to try and whereas some work well for some people, they may not work so well for others as we are all so different.  If you Mum is fine on the water tablet, sounds a good place to start perhaps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.