ramipril

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have been taking ramipril (2.5mg) for two weeks now and the only side effect is a slight dry tickly cough now and again. I figure that's a fair price to pay for a lowered risk of heart attack or stroke. My BP was 180/120 three months ago, and due to a regimen of diet and exercise, I managed to get it down to 140/110, but the doc said this was still too high and if I was a relative of his he would recommend medication, as the diet and exercise, whilst doing me the world of good, was not lowering the BP enough for his liking. Hence the reason I am on Ramipril.

I have to go and see him again on Thursday afternoon, and I'm wondering if he will increase the dose. I suppose if there is no change in the BP he will.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

gerry

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I noticed no side effects when I was on 2.5mg of Ramipril, only when my dose was increased too 5mg, then 10. I noticed a I became anxious when I never did before, sex drive dropped to zero, had a cough and generally felt rough. I stopped taking it and after a week I felt fine again, its the 1st medicine that Ive had an adverse reaction too.

My GP has now put me on Amias, a Angiotensin II receptor antagonists, as a opposed to Ramipril which is an ACE inhibitor. Apparently Amias is given to patients who cannot tolerate Ramipril. Ive experienced no side effects and by Bp has dropped considerably.

I would say to anyone who are finding ramipril tough to take as I did, speak to your GP. There are many alternatives don't suffer in silence.

• Posted

Hi Richy

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on at the docs in about 24 hrs.

Cheers

gerry smile

• Posted

Just back from the docs and my BP is down to 136/100. He has upped the dose to 5mg starting tomorrow. I'll keep you posted about (any) side effects.

Cheers

gerry

• Posted

interesting. I think if mine dropped to 140/110 I'd feel a lot happier....right now mine has been between 160-180/105-110 for 3 months and I'm about to start taking Ramipril. Doc prescribed a 5mg dose.

Have to say I am sceptical about some of the \"scare stories\" I read (& of course I am aware I am tempting fate here....) - I read that of \"first stroke victims\", 50% had high BP: heck, that means 50% didn't, and that I'd be equally likely to suffer a first stroke regardless !

I'm sure there is something to be said for lowering my BP, hence my move to shortly start.....but even so.....I'll be suitably sceptical !

cheers

• Posted

I am now on 10mg (for the last none days). No side effects apart from the slight cough. I feel fine thus far.

I suspect that this will be the case for 90% of patients taking ramipril.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.