RAMIPRIL

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been taking ramipril 1.25 mgs since last July ( 2011), after an episode of A F.

Have a bit of a cough, which I can cope with. Has anyone taking this drug experienced more frequent urination. I feel the urge "to go" nearly all day. I can manage to hang on for an hour or two, sometimes a bit longer. My blood pressure has never been high, so don't know why I am taking medication for it. Sometimes I think the medical proffession is just covering their backs, and are scared of litigation.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i also take ramipril 1.25mgs because i had a double heart bypass in june 09, but they have now upped my dose to 2.50 mgs because i also have few episodes of A F, i also noticed that i pay a visit to the loo a lot more than usual but didnt think anything of it till saw your forum
  • Posted

Hi s50nya,

You have given me the confidence to visit my doctor. I have an appt next Monday - 23rd April and will post again.

• Posted

I am amazed that doctors will prescribe Ramipril to AF sufferers as it comes with a warning that it might cause palpitations. I've had AF for 8 years and been on Ramipril 9 years for hypertension and faced with possibility of an ablation insisted that my cardiac doctor take me off Ramipril to see if there was a link in my case. Doctor was sceptical that Ramipril was a factor. I've seen my GP and many different doctors over this time and not one has linked my AF with Ramipril and the latest doctor was not aware that I was taking it even though my medication was on my hosptal file. I'm also on 2x20mg/day Sotalol and Warfarin.

I'm giving myself a 6 month trial to see if my AF improves.

• Posted

So I gave myself 12 months without Ramipril (taking Candesartan instead) and found that my AF episodes reduced from 18/year to 12/year which I consider a significant improvement. What bugs me is that although palpitations are an uncommon side-effect no doctor has ever linked this to Ramipril.

If you're taking Ramipril and have palpitations you have been warned but probably won't be by your coctor.

• Posted

I had my first episode of AFin Sept 2010, was prescribed 1.25 mgs of Ramipril plus daily aspirin. Nearly a year later I had another attack, then another a few months later. Have now had well over a year free. I'm sure that Ramipril has an element of diuretic in it as I too have been experiencing the need to pee all day long. I try to squeeze it back in the hope of strengthening my muscles, the longest I can go without a pee is 4 hours - get fed up with trying to remember how long ago I last went! Incidently it's never just a trickle always plenty. My doctor won't commit herself, more or less tells me it's my age (77), I also take 1.25 mgs of bisoprolol.
  • Posted

Interesting to see people on relatively low doses of Ramipril. I was put straight on to 10mg wayback.

Patient is a great forum. Where else can patients share their experiences?

• Posted

So pleased to find similar cases.  I started on Ramipril and suffered afib about 6months later.  The episodes became more frequent but could not get a diagnosis for AF. Docs kept hedging around.  Eventually went for a loop recorder fitting and the surgeon diagnosed AF and cancelled the recorder.  I kept suggesting the link of AF and Ramipril but no takers.  Eventualy got a locum doc to change to my meds to candestartin, Now the frequency of AF is declining, used have an eposide at least every week which would leave me every tired.  Last two events twelve weeks apart and only notice as an irregular pulse when sat quiet and at rest, dont think I would have noticed if I had been busy.  Hope this help others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.