Ramipril

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im 49 been on raipril and levothyroxine for 5years since losing my mum...

Just recently Friday week ago was rushed into A&E as I woke with an extremely DRY COUGH and not being able to BREATHE... When ambulance came the girls were so thorough they seen my FACE TONGUE LIPS SWOLLEN and HEAVY HARD BREATHING they asked medical history I told them and what I was on IMMEDIATELYthey said Anaphylaxis due to ramipril (although it could be strawberry too) got me on Adrenaline etc etc in the ambulance sped off to local A&E...There I was seen in RESUS by this time breathing had got little easier had tests bloods and camera up nose to look in throat but as SWOLLEN couldn't let them carry on felt I was choking even my tongue was swollen to the point I couldn't stick it out to let them do a test..... ramipril was stopped next morning ( I was kept in overnight for observation).. On discharge I was given course of antihistamines and steroids and 2 epipens An outpatient apptmnt being made for immunology?allergy testing was off work for 2 weeks ..I saw my G.P this week told to go back on ramipril so I did but today felt hard to breath and a feeling of something in my throat choke feeling so tomorrow I won't be taking ramipril.......

It is a terrifying feeling NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE so will have to go back to G.P.....

May I just say from the initial 999 call to discharge I had wonderful people looking after me THANKYOU......

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Poor you sounds sooo scary!

Strange how after years of being on the same drugyiu developed a reaction to it. Just a question .....might it have been from a different supplier or an ingredient or coating adaptation? It would be worth trying to determine what caused it specifically as it will need to be noted in your medical detail as whichever element it is could be in other medication.

• Posted

So sorry you had to experience all that scary l had excaley same experience twice but but because l had previously been diagnosed with COPD they just took it for granted that couldn't breathe because of that but l did not have COPD but was allergic to ramopril changed me onto losartine yet another blood pressure tablet went into anaphylactic shock and just the same treatment as you. Long story after that l stopped tablets immediately not wise without doctor advice. The only thing different is l developed big mouth ulcers and throat ulcers, unable to eat l started to drink lots of milk thinking that it would keep my bones strong as my legs had become very painful and found it difficult to walk.cutting my story very short l have now severe stomach problems and now they want me to have treatment for Crohn disease which l don't think I've got, after being misdiagnosed with COPD and blood pressure of which now they have proved l hadn't got l am scared to start any new treatment in case l have a reaction. I have just been in hospital for a week on intravenous antibiotics 3 times daily and on release placed on a month's course of antibiotics. I strongly feel that ramopril caused all my problems and I want to warn anybody else if you start with similar reactions go to the doctor and demand allergy testing . I would hate anybody else to go through the same as me . We are not all the same but doctors seem to think so, what may work for one could be lethal for overs always take care and watch for changes when taking tablets even if the changes are slow as this could be an allergic reaction and it can turn bad fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.