Ramipril

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi ive been taking RAMIPRIL just over 3 months, im starting to get bad cramping in my calves and getting weakness in my arms. Also i get a dull ache in my chest which comes and goes, has anybody had similar symptoms. thanks Ian

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

if you think that RAMIPRIL is the cause go back to your Doctor and ask for it to be changed.Its prescribed because its cheap . It can have other side effects like causing rashes.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I would definitely go back to your GP and mention the symptoms you are getting, they might not be connected to the medication but then again they may well be. Ramipril has many side effects as you will see from the messages on this post alone. I have been told it is prescribed because it is cheap and maybe some people can take it without any obvious side effects. I had muscle weakness and pain and so I asked to be taken off it. I am on bisoprolol fumarate now and I only take 1.25 mg daily but I am hoping that if I can keep my bp down with exercise and losing weight that I can stop taking medication altogether. I would not recommend that you stop taking the Ramipril without first checking with your GP though and I am sure they can recommend another medication that may be more suitable. Good luck.

• Posted

If you can get off the meds with exercise & controlling your weight...GREAT for you!

I hope you're successful. I have been on BP meds since late 2014. The Dr. I had at the time just kept adding meds, which ended up with me being on 4 bp meds to control the blood pressure. How ridiculous is that. Even at this stage; I'm still taking the meds.

Anything I've read says adding meds just increases the chances of side effects. If a med isnt working, it isn't working. Then I read elsewhere that they do add meds.

Mayo has stated at one time that bp rises when something is going on in the body. It's the body's way of saying.."something's wrong here". They have encouraged doctors to find out what's going on, & in that way it could mean the patient can avoid bp meds.

Ohhh but doctors don't do that, do they.

Ever since the start of taking bp meds, I can truly say that I haven't felt as well as I did prior to the meds. Most times, I feel as thought I'm in a fog. When I feel well, I'm great, but when I'm not...it's certainly not pleasant.

Again, if you can get off the meds...good on you! 😃

• Posted

Thank you Mexicanrose for your encouragement. I did actually stop taking Ramipril without consulting the GP which was probably a bit foolish but the side effects were getting me down. I have only been on the beta blocker for a few months after I had a bit of a panic attack and my bp spiked. My GP did it as a safeguard I think and I was referred for an cardiogram and heart monitor which I had to wear for a few days. The only thing they picked up was a first degree heart block which is not an issue. However when I did some research I found that beta blockers can cause a first degree heart block ..... so I will be mentioning that to my GP on my review. I measure my own bp at home and obviously it varies during the day and whether I am stressed or not but it always goes down after exercise and so I do as much of that as I can. Losing the weight is not so easy though, but I am trying my best. Hope you get more good days than bad days.

• Posted

christine75626...

Beta blockers do have their +'s and -'s. If you search the forums here, you'll see that a lot of people had a horrific time with Metropolol., especially when trying to come off it. Beta blockers cannot be suddenly stopped; they must be weaned. Also Metropolol is fat soluable, which means it stays in the body longer. Atenolol, which of course is another beta blocker is water soluable. I asked my Pharmacist to explain this to me & this is what she advised. A few years back, I was on Metropolol, but got such bad headaches from it. She said the Metropolol also crosses the blood-brain barrier (I don't understand it). When my then-Dr. put me on Atenolol,she said that I likely wouldn't suffer the horrendous headaches because with it being water soluable, it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. Remember too Christine...beta blockers slow the heart..thereby lowering bp.

Yes, your bp will go down after exercise, but don't take readings for at least 30min after you've completed your exercise.Perhaps you already know this. True, bp does vary during the day. In fact, there can be a vast difference in numbers within minutes.

• Posted

By all means, get back to your doctor. If you don't whatever you are experiencing could very well become worse. In my mind, there is nothing worse than having side effects from medication that makes you sick. You likely already know that Rampiril is an ACE inhibitor.

BP meds ending in "il" are ACE inhibitors. You could ask for another ACE., i.e. Coversyl. It's actually Perindopril, but there's something different about it. OR you could take an ARB instead, i.e. Valsartan, or Irbesartan.

Stop suffering...get back to your doctor.

• Posted

l was prescribed Ramipril a few years ago by my GP when l was first diagnosed with high blood pressure. I experienced all if the symptoms you've mentioned, but the chest pain was so severe that was taken to A&E. No one there made the connection between those symptoms and ramipril, so l kept on taking it. l truly suffered until l ran out of them one week and within two days the symptoms eased. l made the connection and went back to my GP. l am now on Amlodipine, which also has mild side effects, but not like Ramipril. l really hope you find something that works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.