ramipril and atenolol combined

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking Atenolol 50mg for quite some time but now my GP has decided to give me Ramipril 5mg as well as Atenolol 25mg.as my pulse rate was very low as well as the high blood presssure. I was told to take the Ramipril at night to avoid some of the side effects and continue the Atenolol in the morning. I am 72yrs old ,non smoker or drinker,fit and active but now feel perpetually light headed and lack motivation to do anything. I have only been taking this combination for six days but wondering if I should stop or will thes symptoms pass...does anyone else take a combination of these two drugs . :?:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking both of these drugs for about 6 weeks now and have been feeling fine, until I had BP checked yesterday and it was high again, so they increased Ramipril from 5mgs to 10mgs to be taken at night. I felt so nauseated this morning, runny nose and very tired and anxious about the whole situation.Antenelol 50mgs in the morning. Will see how it goes. Margaret
  • Posted

update from Mitzi.

Have been taking the combined Ramipril 5mg and Atenolol 25mg for over three months now. Month ago had a chest infection [cleared up by antibiotics] but since then have had a hacking cough and brought up so much white froth I cant believe it. Went back to drs. after two weeks and was told it was just a virus and would go. Another week has passed of feeling so unwell and coughing all the time that I went back to Drs and saw some one different. Iwas told to stop taking Ramipril immediately and just take the Atenolol and that the cough would go within 10-14 days and that my BP would be treated with another drug if neccessary. :D

• Posted

Re ramipril, I have been taking this drug in 10mg form since July 2006

& over time have had atenolol & moxonidine added plus at one stage

doxodophine (spelling incorrect) although as this one made me depressed was withdrawn in 2007.

My BP reduced to normal in 2007 & have felt fine ,having originally suffered a slight TIA on 2006.

My biggest problem has never been the BP but the awful side effects this cocktail of drugs gives out.

I don't drink, smoke (didn't in the first place) over eat (ditto) lack of excercise( never been a couch potatoe). I rarely drive due to my reactions being severley affected by this cocktail. I don't work although would love to get a job but suffer with severe drowsiness & depression (was on incap.benefitr but was moved off onto jobseekers by the dwp)

Other side effects include hair loss (thought it was my age !)

Permanant runny nose & sore throat.

Toe nails brittle & break off.

severe muscle spasms in my arms & torso

no taste of food

plus a lot more as listed on the leaflet in Rampril box.

The biggest problem has to be breathing difficulties Having just had this flu bug has made it worse. am sitting here at 0342 am on boxing morning.

I originally though these problems were caused by atenolol

but had the dosage reduced in Sept. but hasn't made any difference.

I am convinced all my problems are from Ramipril , which was originally prescribed by the hospital.I believe that my GP should have reduced/changed this drug in 2007.

As soon as I can in the new year I intent to see my gp & get tough with him as I am fed up with being used as a long term guinea pig.

I could go on ........but I hope that helps,

• Posted

Hi everyone --latest update from me about Ramipril. The last Dr. I saw that took me off the Ramipril because of the hacking cough said that the cought would disappear in 10-14 days and he was spot on. At moment just taking the 25mg Atenolol and although BP is still quite high 165/78 have been told to have BP checked twice in the next month to see how it is--I feel really good now and hopefully will get BP down myself. My diet is not bad but can be improved on I,m sure which will help-I already do a lot of exercise for my age. :D :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.