Ramipril and Imigran - incompatible?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with HBP and prescribed Ramipril.  I occasionally take Imigran (a vaso-constrictor) for migraine, so I am not sure whether I can continue with this, or what if anything I can take instead.  Also I sometimes take Ibuprofen for back pain, which I need when hiking/walking which is my main exercise.  Apparently this anti-inflammatory is off-limits, too! Anyone have any advice for me?

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I have been on 10mg of Ramipril for about 5years now and (touch wood) no adverse side effects. Having said that I rarely take ibuprofen for aches and pains preferring paracetamol. Like half the population I am also on 10mgs statins. 

I think it helps to be cynical when it comes to drug interactions and carry out your own research and then take your findings to your GP.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

• Posted

so about these statins do they actually reduce fat levels since they say we should all be taking them over 50 years of age...  
    • Posted

I had a heart "wobble" last year and was immediately put on 40mg statin and an aspirin a day. The statins made me feel AWFUL. I had aches in almost every joint, ankles, knees, elbows etc etc. It was about a month before I could see a heart consultant at Norwich hosp and she put me through a battery of tests and concluded that my heart was ok and I could come off the the aspirin and reduce statins to 10mgs per day. My cholesterol has reduced from 6.5 pre heart "wobble" to 4. Combo of statins and diet and exercise I believe. Lower dose of statins not giving me any adverse effects. In my case they appear to be working but not in isolation as I believe you have to adjust lifestyle as well. 
    • Posted

Ah I never knew that like a combo pil,l what a good idea, so you did.t take that pill then Derek...
    • Posted

I was out walking with my sister and her dog and half way round a rather remote countryside walk I started to get a tightness in my chest! Not a good feeling! It got worse, but I managed to finish the walk and it eased a lot. Saw my GP the next day and he checked me over but tests were inconclusive so I was booked into the hospital. They saw me quite quickly and thats when I was given big dosage of statins until I could have more detailed tests. The main test was awful though. A nurse injected a drug into my arm that speeded up my heart bit by bit so they could see how much stress it could take!! They had a "crash team" on standby in case it triggered a heart attack!! Weird feeling, lying on a bed with your heart thumping away like mad and nothing you can do about it. When they finished looking at the computer screen I had a different drug injected through the canular which brought my heart rate back down again. A very strange experience that I do not want repeated!!! 
    • Posted

Bet you don.t, may be it was just anxiety, but good to know your heart has been all checked out, nerve wracking experience for you take care... my heart goes into an irregular beat when I excercise, and then it goes normal, the doc says its only dangerous if it does.nt go away itself I think thats what they do on a stress test... 
    • Posted

No, I take losartan. There are a few other polypills.

I read about the polypill on a notice board when I had appointments with the professor who is pushing it. For me he suggested Perindopril but it did not agree with me and I went back to losatan.

• Posted

I had that drug pumped into me and had to pedal a bike at the same time!

That was stressful and painful on my knee. Before I went I had been told it was either the drug or the bike not both. I prefer the bike to the treadmill.

• Posted

Google Eilish McColgan. She ran in the Commonwealth Games with her irregular heart beat. She refused surgery for a valve in her heart and will not take drugs as that would end her career. Olympic swimmer Michael Jamieson evidently has a similar problem.

One of my echo cardiograms last year was done by an ex Olympics 800/1500 metres Olympic runner. 

• Posted

I have to say Derek that it was such a strange feeling having your heart stimulated by drugs pumped into your arm via a canula. If I had been exercising I would have stopped immediately but I had no control over my own heart rate. Weird!

• Posted

I had a false positive as it indcated that two arteries were partially blocked. So I needed an angiogram to prove it wrong.
    • Posted

Googled it yes interesting that she is only very young 23 years old..

They must inject adreniline into you to fasten up the heart rate a weird experience. I had a angiogram, very invasive procedure,  as I had a brain anuryism but that is another story I know that is spelt wrong Derek 

• Posted

Not adrenliine but Dobutamine hydrochloride:

Dobutamine hydrochloride increases the force of contraction of the heart. It is used in situations when the heart is not contracting properly such as: during open heart surgery; certain heartdiseases or when in shock. Dobutamine hydrochloride may also be used in a cardiac stress test. A cardiac stress test is a medical procedure that investigates the function of the heart during exercise. During a cardiac stress test Dobutamine hydrochloride is used instead of exercise when someone is not able to exercise.

Dobutamine hydrochloride is usually given to you by a healthcare professional. The person responsible for giving you your medicine will make sure that you get the right dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.