Ramipril and migraines

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking ramipril 4 weeks ago. In the last 2 weeks I have had a migraine (flashing lights) on 7 days. I get them very occasionally normally. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any replies

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

h1954...Hmmmm...you're experiencing flashing lights. Have you seen an Opthalmologist??? Flashing lights COULD be a sign of retinal detachment. You said.."I get them very occasionally, normally"..which means you were having the flashing lights prior to the Rampiril. Perhaps things are worsening, & the Rampiril is not to blame at all.

Please...consult an Opthalmologist!!!

• Posted

Hi I've been taking ramipril for 4 days now. In the last 2 days I've had 5 migraine attacks with flashing lights, seems a bit strange that although I do get migraines I never  have had them that close together. It is not listed as one of the side effects of ramipril but will be seeing how it goes over the next few days.

• Posted

Ooh, Shelley, that's a lot in 2 days!  Mine stopped after I posted but have had some dizziness which is also a migraine symptom for me.  GP can't explain it, just got to see how I go.  Hope they stop for you.  Do keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi Shelley, I hope your migraines have settled down.  I have had just one episode of flashing lights since I posted. My GP now thinks that although the mechanism of migraines is poorly understood, it is generally thought that it has something to do with blood vessels. So the action of ramipril on blood vessels could be behind the increase in migraine auras which hopefully will settle as we get used to the ramipril.
  • Posted

Hi i had to go back to the doctors and get them to change my tablets as I was so ill on the ramipril. I'm on Amlopine now but still not getting on with that either. Pleased the tablets seem to be working better for you. 

• Posted

Amlodipine?   Gave me a rash.  Hope they work for you!
    • Posted

Hi shelley79651...I understand you were taking Rampiril..but now you're on Amlodipine. How long have you been on the Amlodipine???

• Posted

Hi mike92384,

I have been on Amlodipine for just over a week now, I'm not sure it is any better than the Rampril as yet. I am however very sensitive to tablets, even not very strong painkillers make me feel dizzy and sick. At the moment the side effects I am suffering from are bouts of low and high blood pressure, heart palpitations, headaches, sleep disturbances, aching muscles and lack of appetite, I will see how they go over the next few weeks.

• Posted

Hi shelley79651,

How did you go with Amlodipine?

I was on Ramapril for 6 months last year then Exforge (Amlodipine) for another 6 and since I started Exforge, for over a year now have had very regular visual disturbances (migraines with Aura). I have been hospitalised 2 times, had MRI of my head, CT scans, eye examination at the Ophthalmologist, my cardiologist thought it was a heart problem and ordered me to hospital to have a Coronary Angiogram and all tests came back negative for any issues.

I asked my doctor to change the meds back from Exforge to Ramapril to try and still have the same issues.

4 months after my Angiogram I am getting daily visual disturbances sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Flashing lights, dark patches in my vision and sometimes headaches.

I have an appointment to see an Neurologist in 4 weeks.

• Posted

this is interesting. i have been taking amlodipine for a while but have also been prescribed ramopril to take with them. i am now getting migraine auras on a daily basis!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.