Ramipril and vision problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hello

Has anybody suffered vision problmes when taking Ramiril? I am 56yrs old, diagnosed stable angina but elected to have a stent fitted last year. Im on asprin, clopidogril, ramipril and statin. I was raised up to 10mg Ramipril and since then I have suffered severe eye pain in my left eye, headaches and blurred vision. My reading glasses are not as effective they were. Ive have been to the eye consultant and opticians and they report no promlem with the structures of my eyes to explain the vision problems. I suspect it may be the Ramipril but not sure has anyone here had similar problems? Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Kevin

I experienced head pain and problems with my vision, plus nausea, along with a massive hike in blood pressure within a couple of weeks of starting Ramipril some years ago after initially producing a fast drop in BP.  The pill was stopped as thought to be causing an allergic reaction, but I didn't get better and was eventually diagnosed with a long term inflammatory condition in arteries/blood vessels (GCA/TA).  Some years down the line, I was persuaded to just try the Ramipril again - within a couple of weeks I started sensing some fleeting temporal pain and nausea.  I panicked, not wishing to stir up the now in remission GCA again.

Please don't think for one minute that I am suggesting your side effects could lead to anything similar - we are all different and will therefore respond differently to both illness and to treatment.  My experience is just one person's experience. However, if the side effects you are experiencing are definitely due to Ramipril, then you should discuss with your GP and she will, no doubt, either reduce you back down to 5mg or prescribe an alternative medication if your blood pressure is high enough to warrant it.   One other medication which I believe is prescribed for people with angina and controls high blood pressure is Diltiazem.

Importantly, always ask a good pharmacist to check all your different medication for any possible interaction - pharmacists know so much more than GPs about drugs and the way they work  Like you, our son is on clopidogrel and a statin following a clot to the brain a couple of years ago.  He isn't taking asprin - I believe clopidogrel acts similarly to asprin, so a double whammy of blood thinning?    

• Posted

Thanks MrsO

I too get nausea and my eyes are so strained all of the time in fact I have to take time out each day to rest them. I will discuss with my GP about possible alternatives. Thank you for posting your reply.

• Posted

Hi Kevin, sorry it's late but just to confirm I too have had blurry vision since starting BP meds a year ago, Candestartan, enalopril, ramipril, all gave me problems, was fine when just on Losartan, but have had a beta blocker added after a few months to help bring readings down & blurry vision has come back. I have been away since adding this 2nd med but will mention to my gp in a couple of weeks time when we get back, and glad to hear you intend doing the same. Not sure it means more problems if left or not, but better safe than sorry. I just feel so glad I am not having all the side effects the 1st three meds were giving me.

Good luck. Sue 

• Posted

Thanks Sue. Ive not taken it today and have had the best day eyesight wise since the start of January when it all started. I may just half the dose  tonight until I get to discuss with the Doc.
  • Posted

I appreciate that this was posted some time ago.. I have experienced a similar situation. I began taking ramipril due to high blood pressure and within 4 days I had blurred fuzzy vision after 6 days I had a sub retinal haemorrhage in my right eye. It has taken me a while to convince my G.P that I'm sure the medication was the cause of this as like you I went to my optician who confirmed there was no change in the condition of my eye to warrent the deterioration in vision. Only today have I been switched to a different medication and I am keen to ask you.... Did you vision return completely? To the same as it was and can you recall roughly how long this took.

Thank you for your time

Donna

• Posted

Very shortly after I started taking ramipril, I suffered a central retinal vein occlusion. I had never had anything like this before, despite having high blood pressure for some time and not taking medication for it. My vision was strange for a while but returned completely in about a month. The eye doctor said I should be on bp meds and ignored my telling him that I was already on them, and the GP said it wouldn't have been ramipril that caused it, but I am still sceptical about that. I also have a continuing tickly cough at night and now I have worsened psoriasis. I always had it very mildly but never like this.

• Posted

Hi Kay, I went to doctors regarding severe leg pain and foot pain on Ramipril, I was told to lose weight and come back and see her if I still had pain. I know for a fact it's the Ramipril that's causing it, doctors tell you anything these days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.