Ramipril causing reflux and heartburn

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been wondering if Ramipril was responsible for my symptons and decided to surf for more information.

My GP changed my medication from Atenolol to Ramipril. I started with a persistent dry cough and then a permanent sensation of heartburn. Soon I fouind that if I coughed too hard I started retching, but wasn't sick. Then I had spells where my mouth filled with saliva as if I was going to be sick. I was either swallowing like mad or hanging over a sink spittting it out. It only lasted a minute or so but often ended with more retching. Very embarrasing if you are in company. The medication to combat these symptoms works really well, but gives me diarrheoa.

Routine blood tests have also shown slight anaemia.I also itch quite a bit and my feet are swollen.

Has anyone else had these side effects?

I'm going back to the GP and will insist on being taken off this medication.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Ramipril for about 1 year, I have very bad reflux and heartburn, I have mentioned it on numerous occasions to my GP, he just looks at me, does a little bit of typing - then dismisses it with a statement about trying Gaviscon. I think this drug is very debilitating .
  • Posted

Hi craftybarbara,

Same symptoms is noticed to me after 1 year 3 Months.

Regards

• Posted

I would advise anyone with stomach problems to insist their GP change the medication. I am now free from all symptoms and don't need any gaviscon.

Ramipril is poison!

• Posted

I would advice for some Vitamin tablet and regularizing stomach then GP will see how to change the tablet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.