Ramipril cough

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Ramipril for 6 years now, my dosage was increased to 10mgs about 2 years ago.  Generally I tollerated it well , but over the last 2 months I've developed the most debilitating dry cough, I'm 63 years old, could it be because of my advancing age that I'm losing my tolerance to this drug? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi peter,

My mum is 65 and been on ramipril for 2 years then a month ago developed this awful cough, after doing a bit of research I found this nasty cough can develope a few months or even years after being on ramipril, my mum is now on a different BP drug but after a week off ramipril she is still coughing away, i'm just hoping it will get better with time.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I intend to come off Ramipril as soon as possible, and hope that this dreadful cough subsides, also the other side effects which have crept up on me over the years.  I hope that your mum's cough improved soon.  Best wishes, Peter.
    • Posted

Loubie My experience of Ramipril cough is that it will take weeks if not months to clear the cough
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply, I have read it could take some time for the cough to go, but its nice to know other people have been through this horrible time and come out the other side!, I just wish i could a small improvement as its making my mum depressed  
  • Posted

I found I did not cough as much when taking the TEVA version of the generic drug. The other version is marketed by Bristol. Might be asking your pharmacist for a different version to try, apparently the GP cannot specify the change!
  • Posted

I found that when I took Ramapril produced by TEVA my coughing was greatly reduced. Check who makes the ones you are currently taking and ask your pharmacist if you can try a differentmanufacturer, there will be a small variation in the inactive ingredients that might suit you better. Not all the generic versions of drugs are bad; I had viscious cramp in my legs from the branded version of one drug but not with the generic version of it so try experimenting a little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.