Ramipril Cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

All the colds and coughs I kept getting never seemed to clear up, my doctor was even going to sent me for an X-ray, I researched the side effects of Ramipril and found they caused a dry tickly cough just like the ones I had been getting for about a year, I was even beginning to think I had something wrong with me. 

I pointed my findings out to my doctor and he agreed with me, so he has put me on to Losartan, and only after a few days my cough had gone, I can now get proper sleep without that terrible tickly cough.

Hope this information helps :-)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

doug203...Rampiril is in the class of A.C.E. Inhibitors, & they are notorious for causing a dry hacking cough., Approx 1 in 4 people suffer the cough when on ACE's. I would hope you complained to your Dr. about the cough before a year went by., & he/she should have known about this side effect.

For those who suffer the dry hacking cough, there are other options, such as the one you are ow taking (Losartan) which is in the class of ARB's. Another example would be Irbesartan., or Valsartan. 

Glad you're feeling better.

• Posted

Thanks Mike92384,

For ages I thought I was just prone to getting colds and coughs, I must admit I did not look to carefully at the side effects leaflet of Ramipril, and I definitely did not expect to get a cough from a blood pressure tablet.

I normally see a different doctor every time I go, but yes it was me who pointed out the Ramipril symptoms to my doctor after finding them out on the new website https://beta.nhs.uk, I was able to look up other medications as well, the advice looks good.

• Posted

Hello Doug, So sorry to hear about your cough but I am surprised that you were not alerted to that side effect by your GP. When I was on ramipril I had to go regularly to the nurse to have blood tests to check that my kidneys and liver had not been compromised by the drug. At that time the nurse would ask me if I had a cough specifically as it is a very common side effect of ramipril.

Still at least you have it sorted now. Good luck with your new medication.

• Posted

Oh the irritating cough used to keep me up at niget. .doc changed me to atenalold haven't had a problem since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.