Ramipril Effects - what are the odds?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am in my 4th week of taking Ramipril and have noticed no side effects (although a couple of moments feeling ever so slightly light headed - maybe unconnected) and reading various comments on here I wondered just how common the side effects described, actually are.

It would be useful and reassuring if someone with expert knowledge or authority could answer that. For instance, if 90% of people experience no problems or might it be that 90% DO, especially if on higher doses.

What are we looking at here? If my doc wants to increase the dosage am I bound to get problems? I know what they say about statistics but they do help to put things into perspective.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Ramipril since March 2002 in varrious doses 10,5,and 7.5 mg. I do-not have any of the side effects that appear to effect other takers, maybe I have got used to it by now. The only problem seems to be with some of my blood test results, which are kept under review with regular blood tests.

I had an Angia attack in 2002; angioplasty and three stents fitted, Now 76 and still able to do everthing I need too. Family history of heart troubles. Hope this puts the other users minds at rest, their side effect may be only temporary.

• Posted

Thanks Eric, it helps to know that some people are not affected.
  • Posted

I've been taking Ramipril along with other anti-hypertensive medication for about 6 months and have suffered no side effects. I have had the odd feeling of light headedness since I've been taking them, but like you, I'm not sure it's related as I sometimes have strange feelings in my head as a result of my brain haemorrhage.

Regards

Keith

• Posted

I have just taken Ramipril for my first week, 1.25mg, I was told to increase to two tablets Thurs, however I had had such a bad week with nausea, lighthead, and culmintating in the worst headache I can remember, I re-visited my Doc (not the original one unfortunately), who immediately took me off them, saying such a small dose should not have had such side effects.

I have had 10years on a water tablet, and Atenolol, and no apparant ill effects, the Ramipril was added for good reasons I know, but obviously not for me, I am on Candsarten, now from yesterday and fell much better already.

I must also add that I am suspicious about the cost of some of these drugs, and am convinced we are tried on the cheapest first ... !!

Sorry for the negative, but I thought I was pretty tolerant to most things, not so this Ramipril ...

Brian

• Posted

\"Tried on the cheapest first\" !!!!! Surely not!! Anyone would think the NHS was a cheapjack organisation that could not keep it's wards clean. Whatever next?
  • Posted

I just thought I ought to update after my comments above .... All is well after a week on the Candsarten, so fingers crossed I should be ok on these.

It seems like a distant memory already,

Brian :D

• Posted

Hi

You may want to consider reading Patrick Holfords Food is better medicine than drugs book. It is amazing and very enlightening about hypertension drugs and alternatives.

• Posted

Re my comments above on 29 October 2007, after 2weeks on Candsarten I had to re-visit the Doc, he has taken me off them as I was going on two weeks Hols soon and in no state to do so, feeling very sick and lightheaded all the time.

The good news is after a couple of weeks off \"Ace Inhibitors\" as they are called, I am back to normal, however the bad news is the Doc has said he will have another go after Christmas .... I will look forward to that ... !!!

He said I was having an B reaction to Ace Inhibitors, I obviously could not tolerate them, its such a shame it takes 5 weeks of feeling rotten to convince them they do not agree with you .... !!

Happy New Year ... to all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.