Ramipril Issues

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was prescribed 2.5mg per day of this drug and took it for two weeks in which time my hair started badly falling out and I was pretty constantly in the loo needing a wee. I then stopped the medication a week ago and am seeing my doctor on Tuesday (earliest appointment) but have been feeling dizzy and nauseous which I didnt while on the meds. Has anyone been through similar please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi no I haven't experienced those side effects although I do need to have a wee in middle of the night . My side efffects are tiredness lethargic feel as if I'm In a world of my own . I'm also wondering if they can cause memory problems which would explain why older folk suffer from dementia when you consider its normally older folk suffer from high blood pressure . Just a thought because if these meds along with Amlodopine which is another awful drug are made up of calcium which from an article I seen saying that it's calcium that may be the cause of dementia . But it makes me think 

• Posted

Thank you Sue it all is quite concerning. I dont know how old you are but I am 50 with an average BP over 24 hour monitoring of 157/92 so need to get it down. Am not on any other meds so will see what doc says on Tuesday and I guess just take it easy till then while im not taking any meds.
    • Posted

You are right to avoid calcium tablets as very little of the stuff gets into your bones but gets deposited in your arteries instead! That's why it's called calcification of the arteries.

You would be much better getting calcium from your diet, leafy green veg are full of it and your body can use that much better than a 'chalk pill'!

• Posted

Buy yourself a BP monitor and use it to check your BP at home. I stopped taking Ramipril for some months - I washes getting the Ramipril cough! Instead I have been taking Vit D3, which does a similar job. Also coconut water brings down my BP - get the best, not the diluted stuff.

This usually works fine for me, however, after a particularly stressful couple of weeks my BP did creep back up. So I started taking the tablets again. Now it's back down so I'll stop them.

Your doctor won't tell you this, as most have not got a clue about nutrition and believe everything the drugs reps tell them.

• Posted

Having been to the doc today he says my bp is too high to change just via lifestyle - today 160/100 so hes prescribed amlopidine instead and guess I see how that goes. Thank you for your advice I have cut caffeine radically and am trying to reduce salt etc.
    • Posted

Oh dear I do hope you have better luck with this med Lynette !! But them ones were the start of my nightmare . Apparently they are the same stuff from what people on this forum site say . Please go onto the one for Amlodopine and see what you can find out . These horrible meds are the cheapest out there apparently so no surprises for them to be dished out to us . I do hope you have better luck on these keep in touch on here be interesting to know how you find them Sue😊

• Posted

Me too I have scared myself on the amlodopine thread already :-0 But I have to try I suppose as a heart attack or stroke is not in my life plan. A friend is on lisinoprol so god knows why i cant have that
    • Posted

Same old story my friend ( cost ) they see if you can manage on the cheapest first . Both of these meds has even affected my memory. When you consider its mostly the elderly who suffer from dementia problems and have high blood pressure . Is the blood pressure tablets causing memory problems ? If the contain calcium. Which if I'm nor mistaken can cause dementia ??? God help us . Does your friend have ant side effects from her meds and as she been taking them for long 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.