Ramipril joint pain side effect

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been taking Ramipril 10mg for a few months now.

I have experienced the tickly cough, but not often so thats ok, the one problem I'm worried by is joint pain.

I went from 5mg to 7.5mg to 10mg it has been whilst I have been on this higher dose that my arm joint to my shoulder have started to hurt, with sometimes sharp pain, also a sharp pain in the base of my index finger but again very occasionly.

I worry that if I go and talk to my doctor he may try and treat the joint pain with yet another drug which itself might have side effects, and the spiral then goes on into old age.

I am only 51 and will continue to take the medication but will monitor my problems and eventually have a chat with my GP.

If anyone else has had joint pain I'd be interested in their stories.

Cheers

Simon :D

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am age 63 with type 2 diabetes. Four years ago I exprienced Rhabdomolysis, which caused me severe muscle pain, nausea, vertigo etc etc. Due to being overweight, I had previously been prescribed Simvastatin, which I had taken for 3 years without any adverse side effects - but then I received my annual flu jab, which caused a severe reaction, resulting in the Rhabdomyolyis event. I then stopped taking all medication, went on a strict diet, lost 5 stones in 8 months, controlled my diabetes and was relieved of the pain incurred by the Rhabdomyolysis. Over the next 3 years, I put on2 stones in weight. Two months ago, my doctor was concerned about my blood pressure and prescribed 1 x 1.25 mg Ramopril per day. Also, at the same time, he booked me for a blood test for 1 month later to assess the effects.   I took the Ramopril tablets for 3 days only because I suffered very severe pain in my shoulder joints, lower back, hip joints,

knuckles, upper arm muscles, thigh muscles and abdomen, I also suffered vertigo. I can only compare the joint and muscle pain I sufered as what I imagine was inflicted by "torture on THE RACK". Because the symptoms were similar, I thought I had suffered aother Rhabdomyolysis event but having Googled and found your comments, I now know the symptoms to be caused by Ramopril. FOOTNOTE: I asked for an appointment with my GP, was told the earliest available appointment was 3 weeks away and that would be with a "locum" - I will wait for my diabetes review, a further 3 weeks from today.  I am still in cosiderable pain and, most concerningly, that in my abdomen. I hope you have all gotten better.     

• Posted

Hi Johnny, just re-read your post and hope that things are improving for you.  I was put on 2.5mg Ramipril having previously presented with wrist and finger pains from Amlodipine.  Symptons just escalated comparable to yours and my doctor has now taken me off the BP medication and thinks I might have developed PMR (having looked into this it seems there is a tiny percentage of patients where this has occurred - maybe there are more than have been reported!).  Anyway, oh joy, I have now been prescribed steroids.
  • Posted

hi , been looking at  your post plus others , im 51 been on ramipril for about 3months , low dosage 2.5 mg but nearly 2 months ago started getting stiffness and pain in my left knee , , stopped using ramipril for two days and knee seemed better , doctors x ray ed my knee , and ok , said it was arthritas , im not so sure , , i think its these pills 
    • Posted

Hi Paul, it is reassuring to know I am not the only one that has linked the pain and stifness to the side effects of ramipril (tried Amlodipine previously but had same effect).  The doctor has taken me off the rampril and am waiting for result of blood tests.  He prescribed Indapamide in the meantime but I stopped taking them beause of the nausea.  Am taking Ibuprofen+Codeine to deal with the pain until next appointment. 
    • Posted

Hello Paul, I was also taking Ramipril began with 5mg and my doctor has raised it to 10mg.. I too had been getting joint pain in my left knee as well as muscle cramps in my calf radiating to my foot... once the doctor increased the miligrams the cramps and joint pain are more severe..I've stopped the meds and the cramps and pain have resolved ..I also contacted my doctor to see which meds will be tried next.. I wish you well.. Thanks for sharingconfused

• Posted

I have knee pain from BP medicine. 

Did you find a BP medicine that didn’t cause joint pain? Thanks, Kim

• Posted

Have been on Ramipril 1.25mg, Bisoprolol, Simvastatin, Warfarin  for a couple of years now and  I have experienced joint and muscle pain.   A couple of months ago

my consultant increasede my dosage to 2.5mg, as a start to eventually go up to

10mg daily.   Since the increase to 2.5mg I have experienced more intense upper arm and shoulder pain, also in knees and fingers.   This afflicts me worst at night

time but is still present during the day.   I practice TaiChi and Pilates and am finding that I am incurring a lot more difficulty because of pain in upper arms and shoulders.   Saw my GP yesterday as it was time for next increase.  I declined.

I am going back to 1.25mg and lets see what transpires.

• Posted

I have knee pain from BP medicine.

Did you find a BP medicine that didn’t cause joint pain? Thanks, Kim

• Posted

My experience with Ramipril, on 5mg for one year, weight gain, cholesterol numbers increased, and this medication never really made much of a difference in lowering my BP!  After the one year my Dr. Increased (DOUBLED) my Ramipril to 10mg once/day.

About two - two and a half weeks later, I started noticing chronic indigestion, bloating, and complete devastating MUSCLE WEAKNESS, MUSCLE PAIN, JOINT PAIN AND STIFFNESS.   My activity level prior to this physical setback was I exercised (dancing, rhythmic aerobic exercise) and had done so for the past four years and more!   I was a very active Senior, LEAD A VERY ACTIVE LIFESTYLE and never ever had any joint problems, or muscle soreness!  This medication weakened me so much I couldn't even push myself to a sitting position to get out of bed in the morning.  It affected my left shoulder and clavicle, right hip, right groin and lower back.   I also suffered not able to stand up after sitting in the bathroom. It's been about two months now since I suffered the acute loss of strength, IM NOT MYSELF!  I stopped taking the Ramipril 5 weeks ago, made myself eat well, walk outside doing the best I could, and lost about 15 lbs. My blood pressure is now excellent as I've learned relaxation breathing techniques and keep stress to a minimum.

i continue to be challenged with this weakened condition and am getting checked out (X-rays and ultra sound).  I have a masseuse and a physiotherapist I work with but can never be sure what day will be good.  Today was not a good day, very weak and shaker and lots of stiffness and pain!

is there a class-action lawsuit anywhere against Ramipril? I feel this needs to be addressed!

• Posted

Can i first say its a relief to read that other people have experienced left shoulder and arm pain possibility due to ramapril. I've been on a reducing dose for a year now. I found a diet from US call dash diet (dietary approach to stop hypotension) and have lost 6 stone. This has helped my bp alot. But ive found it strange that my symptoms from ramapril have only just started? I've gone from 10 mg to 5mg over the last 12 months because of the weight loss. But in total i would say I've been on ramapril for about 3 years. Im only 40 too. Think i will ask gp to stop meds altogether as pain in arm is awful???
  • Posted

Hi Simon,

I was originally on Lisinopril and changed to Ramipril due to excessive perspiration some time ago for my blood pressure.  I am 64 and have played Squash all my life and also 10 pin bowling and Skiing, so have been a fairly fit person. 

Some time ago after I had plantar fasceitis and could not play squash till my heel got better.  I noticed  many months ago that my knees were giving trouble and got treatement and started excercising them and cycling every day to combat it. I also found that whilst I normally could whizz up a ladder into the attic, I was having to assist my legs with my hands to get up the ladder ?  by now I was cycling daily, swimming 50 lengths once a week but still unable to play squash.  By this time both my elbows had gone weak and the grip strenght in my hands severely deterioated.  Something was not right so I went to the Doctor whereupon I was diagnosed with Tennis Elbow in both arms and given maximum strength Ibroprufen for 2 weeks and stomach damage prevention capsules to prevent damage from the Ibruprofen.  I only took them for a week and started my own research.

On the website I found that an identical chain of events in others using Ramipril, so I went to my doctor, who would not listen as it was not in the book of side effects and insisted on blood tests to check for artheritis etc.  Test came back all clear.

I then stopped taking Ramipril and monitored my blood pressure whilst pursuing a more healthy diet to reduce my blood pressure naturally.  Within 5 days of stopping taking Ramipril my blood pressure stabilsed and my strength was coming back, and I tried bashing a squash ball on court for an hour with no side effects,  where a month before I tried for 20 mins and was in an elbow bandage for 10 days.  On that day I put my name back on the squash leagues and am now playing  for 2 hours on Mondays plus my league games too.  After 5 weeks my strength is now fully restored I can now play without and elbow support, my grip strength is restored and I can now play full strength shots with no ill effect.

In short,  Ramipril appears to have been destroying my muscles and joint strength and althouth I was cycling daily and swimming,  I was swimming upstream all the time and my efforts just holding back the gradual detioration process.  Now I am swimming in still water and allowing my muscles to get stronger.

Sorry for such a long reply, but it has changed my life and I felt that I had aged rapidly,  but am now back to where I was 5 years ago.

Good Luck to all but only change your own medical prescriptions on medical advice,  but I an now on no medication where formerly I was on full time Blood Pressure and Reflux Medication.  For me  reduce weight, eat better and come of Ramipril has sorted me.

• Edited

Hi Simon,

It was interesting to hear your experiences. I have always worked out hard at the gym and walked a lot but after 5 years of being on Ramipril I struggle with my strength and endurance. I still push hard but it takes days to recover.

In the last week I have suffered a kidney stone which is presently bypassed by a stent in the ureter awaiting removal. However, the urologist would not allow me to keep taking the Ramipril during my stay in hospital as he thought it would inhibit recovery of the kidney. I have since learnt that Ramipril can actually induce kidney stones! I don't think that is featured in the list of side effects. During my last 3 days enforced abstinence from Ramipril, I noticed that:

My night cramps have stopped completely.

My sense of taste has returned. I had not realised that it had gone!.

I had also had a persistent cough, back pain, joint pain and muscle weakness but I cannot assess the effect on these until the effects of the general anaesthetic have worn off and I get more mobile.

It should be noted that my blood pressure was continuously monitored in hospital and did not rise significantly after I stopped taking the Ramipril. Interesting.

I do not intend to go back onto Ramipril so I will keep this blog updated with the longer term effects. I would also be interested in your ongoing experiences.

Regards

Steve H

• Posted

I have been taking ramipril 5 milligram capsules for 10 years with no side effects,but when i was first put on them they gave me 10 milligram capsules ,shortly after i began to have dexterity problems with my fingers, my doctor reduced the dose to 5 milligrams, and that cured the problem I do not have hypertension ,but i do have angina, hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Simon.

I too have been on Ramipril for a few yrs now ( 10mg). However, my Cardiologist recently increased my dose to 20mg. When she did that I asked what the side effects would be, and she said the only one is a cough. Well since the increase I have been experiencing muscle pain in my upper arm, along with shoulder pain, and also recently occasionally sharp pains in my arm. Well, since I didn't know or realized that this may have been a result of the medication, I turned to the Internet for help. Surprisingly, there have been many patients experiencing the same results. Thanks so much. I definitely going to be calling her office this morning.

Aldyth

• Posted

I am SO pleased I found this thread. I thought it was just me! I have put this joint pain down to the menopause, food intolerances or even a frozen shoulder and old age catching up with me (except 57 is not old!)

I had a frozen right shoulder (probably down to an old accident) and a few other 'twinges'. But over the last 18 months my other shoulder is playing up, both knees, my right foot, both elbows and hands ...It would be easier to say what isn't hurting! My GP has put it down to arthritis and/or rheumatism.rolleyes What EVERYWHERE?

After reading these posts I am going to stop taking the Ramipril and start taking Niacin - which does just about the same thing and the only side effect is flushing, and believe me, after the menopause, that's nothing!

I knew Ramipril was known for causing a dry cough - something that hasn't bothered me until recently. But a chance trawl on the internet and hey presto, I think I have the answer!biggrin

• Posted

Hi I am currently on ramipril 2.5mg&bisoprolol I have been for a few months now for hypertension,since then I have had a few minor side effects like nausea,light headed lower back pain.I have had routine bloods done now twice and platelets were raised and potassium was high,from this I am now due another blood test next Wednesday at my local gp.However I have been experiencing intermittent rapid heartbeat episodes at rest with my heart rate sitting at 155,I now believe I could be having a reaction to ramipril,the other thing is a left shoulder spasm going down my c spine which doesn't go away with pain meds....is this a coincidence as my gp thinks ???

• Posted

Hi Brian, sorry to hear that you are suffering like this. You say your Potassium levels are raised, did the doc tell you by how much? Mine told me the same, but I asked for a printout, I was 0.1 over the upper limit and had just had some coconut water (which is high in Potassium) so I won't lose any sleep over it!

Back to the aches and pains - doctors love to put things down to 'coincidence' and one of our doctors says if a drug doesn't have a side effect it's not working! Sheesh, what a thing to say. I'd get that shoulder problem checked out and get a print out of your next blood test. The ratio of Sodium to Potassium is important. If both are raised but in the right ratio it's less of a problem than too much of one and not enough of the other. It's all about balance.

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks for your reply I am now waiting for an appointment with regards to the palpitations/irregular hb,not sure of the potassium however the last blood test was normal,concerned that the cause of the back spasms is the ramipril,I also have sob and am wheezy on occasions which is so unusual for me as I have never been on medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.