Ramipril my experience

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was on Ramipril for 2 years at lowest strength 1.25 was absolutely fine until a recent health check whereby my BP had significantly increased. The dose was increased to 2.5 I felt fine but no improvement on readings. Again it was increased to 5 which was when the trouble started have never experienced a cough like it it was awful and totally uncontrollable. Obviously what with the current climate it was very difficult particularly as I'm a key worker so had to shut myself away and cough non stop. I've been off ramipril a month and never felt better but am going on Amlodipine very soon as my readings still high. Am just hoping the experience will not be repeated with this medication.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare

I was interested to read of your experience. When I first started on BP meds, I was started on Ramipril. I think most people get prescribed that in the first instance. Unfortunately it wasn't long before I developed an awful intermittent cough. I was then put on Losartan, and I still coughed and finally candarsatan, which was much better but still if I talked a lot, which I do for work, I still coughed sometimes during the day. In the present climate, coughing is not ideal as people think you have the virus if you so

much as clear your thoat! So the GP prescribed indapamide, a water tablet which also controls BP. However, I developed different problems with this, feeling light headed and problems with my kidneys. So I have today started Amlodipine, and fingers crossed this works. I hope for you, too.

• Posted

Hi Chuck thanks for your reply. Interesting as I did start Losartan too inbetween but this caused me to have dreadful headaches, fatigue and a very spaced out feeling so stopped those too immediately. Will be interested to hear how you get on with Ampliodene as I start mine tomorrow so fingers crossed will work for us both keep me posted on that one!

• Posted

Hi Chuck just wondered how you're getting on with Amlodipine so far? I'm having some unpleasant symptoms already ie. headaches, fatigue sore eyes will give it a few more days but if this continues will have to try something else

• Edited

clare99444...Rampiril is in the class of A.C.E. Inhibitors which are known to cause cough. Any bp medication ending in "il" is an A.C.E. Approximately 1 in 4 patients develop the dreaded cough., & the only way to rid yourself of that cough is to have your Dr. change the medication. Depending on how long you were taking the A.C.E., it could take a few months for the cough to clear even if you are on a different med.

Amlodipine is a Calcium Channel blocker. I don't know what strength your Dr. is planning to prescribe, but be wary...the higher the dose, the higher the liklihood of a very common side effect of swollen feet/ankles/legs. Actually, I'm a little surprised you weren't prescribed a mild diuretic with your bp meds. The liklihood of a cough when taking Amlodipine is very low if at all.

Good luck with your meds! Do you monitor your bp, or do you rely on readings at the Dr?

• Posted

Hi there thanks for your reply too and the really useful information. It has reassured me as I do actually still have an irritating dry cough albeit not as bad as before but its still there particularly when I'm talking! Talking to customers on the phone is when it usually starts and I find it difficult to stop very awkward! Dr did say I may suffer swollen ankles with Amlodipine is this an issue or just uncomfortable? I do monitor my BP at home and it spikes usually afternoon evening the worst. Thought interesting that coming off Ramipril didnt actually make any difference. My starting dose on Amlodipine is 5mg which I start tomorrow so am hoping it will suit me else back to the drawing board....!

• Posted

Hi again Clare.

I am sorry you are still experiencing problems with amlodipine. I am on day 5 and so far so good with this medication. Maybe give it a few more days if it seems to be controlling your BP. Usually, if you are in the UK, the pharmacist will give you a call to see how you are getting on with new meds, so maybe let them know about these unpleasant side effects you are having.

I was told the usual side effects are water retention in ankles/feet or maybe feeling a little flushed. I haven't had either yet.

Maybe you would be better with a water tablet that reduces BP? Talk to your GP again. My best wishes to you, as I know how stressful this is, especially when the side effects are more debilitating than the actual ailment! Let me know how you get on if you can.

• Posted

be careful with amlodipine Clare. It appears a lot of people on here have problems with it... please check the forums

• Edited

hi do you mind sharing what your bp was? my dr wanted me to take this, all ace inhibitors apparently can cause this and kidneys have to be monitored. I refused and hoping it will go down. my husband has just been put on the other one, seems to be doing OK, its a calcium blocker. Did read apart from Ramipril side effects its the best one to use 🤔

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on Ramipril 10mg for almost 3 years, beside this medication i was on Amlodipine 10mg, Burinex diuretics and few others.

Regarding this cough, which is a part of the Ramipril side effect, it will adjust in couple of weeks and settle down, iron supplement helped me to subside this cough much more quickly. Ramipril is also depleting zinc from body which is important for immune system. B complex vitamins and D3 are good addition too.

From my own experience Amlodipine is much more worst option, just search through this website about Amlodipine experiences and its side effects...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.