Ramipril sideeffcts

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Gp explained before I started on Ramipril that one strange side effect for some people is a tickly cough and that if one started I had to go back straight away as it would get worse and she would change my medication. I got a tickly cough went back and she did change it however three weeks on I am awake all night coughing... Apparently it takes weeks to go.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My doctor told me my cough would take a month to go after I stopped taking Ramipril but it only took two weeks. I have yet to get some different medication. I don't want that again!
  • Posted

Don't despair! The cough does go, even if it takes a while. After 5 different medications I now have one prescribed which isn't having side effects and reduces my blood pressure well at a low dosage, so it's worth persevering.
    • Posted

Can you say which medication you ended up with.  I have been prescribed Ramipril this morning and am horrified at the side effects described on here.  Feeling ill at the thought sad

• Posted

I have tried Valsartan, Losartan and am now on Irbesartan 75mg.  Blood pressure is down quite nicely but I do still have the occasional coughing bout (not as bad as before though).  I have been on these latest tablets for approximately 6 weeks.  See the Dr. next Friday to see if I am to stay on them.  I must say that I have a friend who has been on Ramipril for 2 years now and she suffers no side effects!  It's a case of try it and see I am afraid.  All the best.
    • Posted

Thank you.  I'm taking Ramipril in the evening so I can sleep off any nausea or sluggish feeling should it occur.  BP down already!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.