Ramona

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can you help me I filled in a form for pip i have claimed ESA and also claimed DLA before and I have never had to have a face to face interview. the form I fill in is very extensive with doctors report and lengthy description of my health. but now they want a faced to face interview which i did not expect. I am now scared that my pip will be refused. Can you help me how to behave on the day and how to answer questions they may ask.  I have Fibromlylgia, body movement disorder 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ramona

Most PIP claimants have to undergo a face to face assessment so don’t feel as though you are being picked on or draw any conclusions because you have been told you need to attend one.

Also remember PIP is different from ESA. You are not awarded the benefit because you suffer with a condition or because your ill or disabled, you are awarded the benefit because of how any condition affects your ability to carry out certain daily activities (the DWP call these ‘descriptors’).

They include preparing a meal using fresh ingredients, washing/bathing, dressing/undressing, toilet needs, taking medication, social interaction and budgeting. A second part deals with mobility where there are 2 descriptors planning and following a journey and moving around.

At the assessment you need to be consistent with anything you have stated in the PIP2 form. By that I mean if you have claimed to be in constant pain but turn up at the assessment pain free stating you are ‘having one of your good days’ then the assessor will infer that this is your normal or ‘majority’ of days condition. Another example is claiming you can’t venture out without assistance and then turning up alone.

The assessors are not there to help you they are there to ‘assess’ what you have written on the PIP2 form so don’t think that they will read all the medical reports, they don’t. They only read what you refer them to when describing how your condition prevents you from carrying out an activity or your problems with mobility.

Despite the urban myths there is no way to ‘con’ an assessor but you can ‘assist’ them by giving full and credible explanations to any questions they ask.

• Posted

I to have fibromlygia I claimed Dla and esa I have been taken off mobilty and given standard care. The day after I was told this I was sent for esa reveiw still waiting on there answer

• Posted

I also have fibromyalgia and problems with my hips im 32 amd had fibro since i was 25 but alsorts off other problems to. Ive just had pip accessment on the 5th this month its so berve racking waiting on decision .
  • Posted

Hi I am Ramona 

I am having a home visit. I also suffer with ocd, depression, arthritis in neck, shoulder, wrist, spine, ankles. I also get very nervous with people I do not know and memory lapse. I am unable to bend dress or bath myself and prepare my food.. My friends say I should not worry because they can see I am in pain everyday and also lose my balance and fall over.

• Posted

Hi it is Ramona again

i forogt to say thank you for all your replies and reassurance. 

I also have high blood pressure and diabetees. If I cannot remember all the things I have written on the paper How on earth will i rememember on the day. Can I bring the PIP form that i filled in and read from the form on the day?

• Posted

It looks like we are all in the same boat!

I have been a carer to my son for 24yrs he suffers the fybro and the very rare orthostatic tremor which make it impossible to walk without holding onto his crutches or being pushed in his wheelchair.

We will be going to his face to face interview this Friday - going through the 45 minutes will seem like hours and my son with be taking with him his oral morphine to help him deal with his pain - unless they supply a bed to lay on frown

• Posted

To honest Ramona the assessor will expect you to remember what personal care you receive every day and that should have been reflected in the PIP2 form.

So when you are asked a question then the answer should be self evident as you simply explain your daily routine and why it is necessary to receive that care due to your illness/disability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.