Rampiril & High Blood Pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 59 year old male, not overweight & physically very fit. After experiencing a couple of dizzy spells at work last year I finally decided to see a GP who immediately prescribed 5mg Amlodipine for sky high BP. Two months later I didn't see much change with my BP but I did notice swelling in my ankles. I stopped taking the medication hoping to reduce my BP by cutting down on coffee & going to yoga classes. This worked for a while but over the space of several months my BP crept back up to unacceptable levels & I went back to the GP. I was prescribed 5mg Rampiril which has had no noticeable side effects. It reduced my BP but not to the target level set by my GP. I am today starting a course of 10mg Rampiril in a bid to reach my target BP of 130/80. It is currently 145/90 after 4 weeks on 5mg Rampiril. I will keep you posted on results & any side effects experienced.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The most usual side effects with Ramipril are a nasty dry cough which if experienced the dr will change you to Losartan or something similar.

Remember too that you need to take the meds for up to 6 weeks for the full benefit to become apparent.

• Posted

After two months on Rampiril, initially 5mg & then increased to 10mg four weeks later, I can report that no adverse effects were experienced. I thought that a dry cough may have occured as this seems to be the most common side effect.  I made sure I was well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids....often hot squash drinks. Rampiril however didn't have the desired effect of reducing my BP & after two months my readings were only marginally lower. I went back to the doc & have been prescribed Telmisartan 80mg. I will let you know how I get on with this medication but for anyone starting Rampiril do not despair...not everyone experiences the much reported side effects.
    • Posted

If you had no side effects from Ramipril and in any case it hadn't lowered the BP I wonder why  your dr changed you to Telmisartan? I understand it is usual to swop Ramipril to one of the 'artans' if you have the side effects.

I know someone who has taken Ramipril for years with no side effects; so as you say BTJ it's not inevitable - just very common!  I've never heard of Telmisartan - are you in the UK? I take Losartan myself as I couldn't tolerate Ramipril because of the cough.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I thought that Telmisartan may have been one of the less prescribed (or even more expensive) BP medications after the pharmacy had to order it in as a special. Telmisartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It also works by relaxing blood vessels, which helps to lower blood pressure. I told my GP that Rampiril had not been effective in lowering my BP & Amlodipine had given me swollen ankles. The GP feels I may be genetically predisposed to high BP as I present as a fit & healthy patient. I am fit, active, slim & eat a good balanced diet. Telmisatan is effective in controlling a certain enzyme & the GP is hoping that it may be more effective in getting my BP under control. I read that in trials it gave less side effects than patients on Rampiril. I shall post an update as to how I get on. Telmisartan can be prescibed here in the UK but I suspect it may be a more expensive drug & not prescibed as often. I also read that some athletes have used it to boost performance! Regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.