Ran out of sertraline pills

Posted , 6 users are following.

I ran out of sertraline and waiting for my prescription to be accepted at the doctors I've missed 2 doses my mum uses citalopram so I was wondering if it's ok for me to use one or two of hers in the meantime as aparently they're from the same group of ssris

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I wouldnt suggest this unless advised by a dr. Becuase you can't be sure what reactions may take place with the traces of sertraline left in your system. Also if your mum is on a dose that's above the lowest starting dose, then you may find the side effect hit quite hard.

• Posted

Definitely no! It could still have a different effect, and not for the better.

Not sure what the half life is for sertraline, I know Citalopram is usually 36 hours, so if you took one, and then got your sertraline, you could be potentially mixing two ADS together, which could be really detrimental to your health

• Posted

The answer of that is no.

You have been prescribed a medication different medications are for a reason.

Can You ask the Chemist to loan you some mdications ?

When are you picking up your script ??

BOB

• Posted

Should be getting it tomorrow afternoon, so will have only missed 2 doses. .
    • Posted

When you get them still follow the dose, it is not a good idea to take additional medication that you missed. Your body will catch up on itself, given time

All the best

BOB

• Posted

When I ran out of tranquillisers (haloperidol) and it was going to be a day or two before I could get a prescription, the chemists when I usually get my tablets gave me some "in advance" so it might be worth asking if you are ever in this position again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.