Random dizzy spells, vertigo and out of body experiences when awake. What is going on?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I'm 17 (will be 18 in 2 weeks if that means anything) since I was 15 I've been experiencing these symptoms. I've been to multiple doctors and none of them can tell me what's wrong. It comes and goes randomly (on for a few weeks then off for a few months or just happens one or two days every few months) It usually only lasts between 10 Am to 3 pm, but occasionally it will last for the whole day. I'll wake up feeling very dizzy and if I focus on something my vision gets blurry and I have an almost haze over my vision, if people talk to me its almost as if I'm in a episode of Charlie Brown and everyone sounds like an adult. After a few hours (and some help with coffee, I rarely drink it and go months without it, but it seems to be the only thing that makes me feel "normal" again) I'll stand up and I'll feel lightheaded for another few hours, I'll see spots floating around in my vision and if I look at things I almost see what I can only describe as static emmiting from it. The weird thing is these aren't after images, they change depending on what I'm looking at. I feel a pressure behind my eyelids and I just feel anxious and out of it. Around 3 pm the symptoms usually go away and I get this rush of energy and feel fine for the rest of the day. Sometimes (not all the time) I'll look at the ground and it feels like it is farther than it actually is, almost as if I'm "floating" above my body.

Also if this matters at all (this is a desperate issue, at least I think) I've been tested for diabetes, anemia and a bunch of things. Thyroid and horome levels are also normal. And sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep my leg will randomly twitch and I'll get this uncomfortable sensation in it whereiI have to constantly move it and adjust it. It only lasts for a half hour tops but the whole time I keep having to adjust my leg, I can't keep it still. And I'll get these almost "ghost bug" sensations where I'll feel a tickling against my cheek or leg, almost like someone is brushing a strand of hair against me, I've checked for bugs and even get the sensation with the lights on, so there's no actual bugs its just in my mind.

Please please if you know what is going on help me out thank you for reading

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could tell. Amazes me that we can put men on the moon, a rover on Mars, but NOT ONE doctor can give any of us relief from Vertigo and it's symptoms. I'm so sorry, but know you're not alone. 

• Posted

Hi Liz! I know what you are saying about the leg thing! Drives me crazy makes it so hard for me to sleep! For me it helps if I have to weight on my legs.. Like a heavy Afghan or my French bulldog laying across my legs ... Almost like to hold them down to stop them from moving.. I have been told that this is a fairly common currents called RLS or restless leg syndrome... There are different things you can do for it like Medication and exercises ... And some people have great luck with that !!! Not sure how it might fit in with the rest of your symptoms tho... or mine... But look into our RLS and see if maybe you can find some relief there!
  • Posted

Sounds like migranes to me.  Google types of migranes and symptoms.  Topomax would be a likely drug if that is it.
    • Posted

Its not migraines it different. Its hard to explain but it usually doesn't hurt, its almost like I'm on a sleeping pill. I feel very slow to process things and almost lethargic and sometimes if I stand up too quickly I'll faint. I also get migraines which are more like headaches and don't affect my whole body like this does
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

I have had similar episodes, for me the vertigo trip started after i started after a heavy workout session, my ear started to hurt, still does sometimes, for the first month my vision was insanely blurry, i couldn’t recognize faces, the first time I got vertigo I thought I was getting a heart attack.

I tried blaming it on several factors like:

I quit smoking

Exercise

Damage to the inner or middle ear

Bad posture, pillow etc

Well it was horrendous, then after whining for over 2 months, I started exercising again, I know it sounds weird but I feel a lot better.

I do a lot of neck exercises, some yoga, cardio and I lift.

Try to stay active it helps a lot, especially if you have hurt your inner ear, or else it has to be something neurological.

All the best.

• Posted

LOok up your local hospitals, find one that has. Neuro Otologiast mCheck his or her specialities, go back to your gp and tell them you want a referral to them, end of! theygo in  depth of vestibular problems and will tell you exactly what is going on, okay!
  • Posted

Liz I hope you've also had an MRI scan.  I hope you get some answers, have you been checked for B12, i'm going to ask to have mine done. 
  • Posted

Not saying that this is what you have but, all migraines do not include headache.  Your symptoms seem to mimic what I have researched about migraines with my VN issue though:

Silent migraine symptoms

People experiencing silent migraine may experience all the symptoms of a migraine attack without the head pain. Some of these symptoms include:

Speech disturbance

Migraine aura

Vision changes

Seeing flashes or flickering lights

Seeing zigzag lines or waves, also called fortification illusions

Seeing spots, stars, halos, circles, lines, shimmering, other shapes or colors

Blurry vision

Loss of vision

Cloudy vision

Other visual disturbances

Seeing three-dimensional effects

Seeing dark areas

Migraine sensory aura symptoms such as

Tingling or numbness

Feeling pins and needles

Odd sensations in a body part

Clumsiness or weakness in the limbs

Vertigo

Other symptoms

Amnesia

Confusion

Change in mood

Hearing loss

Vomiting

Abdominal pain

Because many of the symptoms of silent migraines are the same as the symptoms for stroke or a transient ischemic attack (TIA), sometimes called a mini-stroke, it is very important to see a medical professional immediately to diagnose the cause of the symptoms. Ruling out stroke and other more serious disorders is crucial since the typical migraine head pain is not present.

• Posted

You are right, I have all the above and it is silent migraine.  On the very odd occasion I get the joy of the headache but not often.  I told them I can deal with the headache, its the other stuff.  Its so weird.  I have a cold at the moment and its all 100 x worse.  I can normally put up with it, but Im really stressed out with it at the moment. But then Ive had it 365 days for 2 1/2 years without any let up. 
  • Posted

Hi Liz

Dont worry about the leg thing, they are all correct, its really common and its called RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME.  Youll have it for life.  Sometimes get it in my arms too.  Its nothing except annoying.  Regarding the other stuff, I also agree, I have silent migraine and have all that stuff.  You need to see a neurologist.  They will try to see if they can give you anti migraine medication.  Ive had this now for 2 1/2 years.  Its very debilatating.  I improved after botox at the Migraine surgery clinic in harley street london.  But the dizziness didnt go away.  This week Ive gone much worse as ive got a cold,  Ive not experienced that before.  My head is so dizzy today, all I can do is lie down.  They keep trying different medication some works a bit, other nothing at all but then we're all different.  Its very scary but youre not alone, theres a lot of us with it.  Dont see ENT they have no idea and I wasted a year a them.  Go and see your GP and get on the road to recovery. 

• Posted

Hey Liz,

I was experiencing the same out of body, dizzy spells as you mentioned. I am not sure about the leg or fuzzy objects but it could all be tied together. About 2 months ago I did 2 things and my dizziness and out of body feeling is GONE. I went to the doctor and they told me it was from anxiety. Who knew Anxiety could cause PHYSICAL symptoms. My doctor prescribed me some medicine (could take a couple different ones for you to find the one that works for you) and I PRAYED like crazy. After 10 days the feeling was gone. I attribute that 1st and foremost to God! Keep praying girl, and I will pray for you too and ask your doctor about anxiety. I promise, it can get better! 

• Posted

This was just my personal experience. I also took precaution by seeing multiple doctors and gettingi scans.Make sure you check with your doctor and physicians before self diagnosing. 
  • Posted

I was thinking silent migraine. Migraine just acting out in a different way. Hope that helps.
  • Posted

Darling have any of the doctors you have seen asked do you have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Do you feel faint or are do you actually faint? Do you feel dizzy, are you anxious, have you ever felt funny noises called tinnitus? Try NOT to worry, You may be absolutely normal but if you haven't been asked about Ehlers-Danlos EDS look up EDSUK JHSUK and POTS UK. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.