random fast heartbeat / palpitations when resting- do I go doctors?

Posted , 2 users are following.

SORRY FOR THE LONG READ!

I'm an 18 year old female, relatively healthy now but a bit unfit.

I go out drinking maybe a couple/few times a month at best, last autumn/winter i had one cigarette a week and smoked socially but i stopped after a couple of months, because smoking is awful for health and i didnt want to become addicted. I also smoked marijuana a couple of times just to experiment, but stopped because my body reacted badly to it.

so my issue is a bit complicated-

for the past few months, ive been having two types of heart palpitations

the first type im used to, as i get when im anxious about something. this type i can easily rationalise because i know its just stress causing it.

the second type is what im concerned about. for some reason i'll randomly get a fast heartbeat, usually occuring when im resting, it'll start beating super fast and last for about 10 mins before it goes back to normal. Other symptoms that sometimes accompany this is slightly pulsating vision, but i dont tend to feel lightheaded or anything. The one measurement ive done during these palpitation was around 120-130bpms, BUT as i dont want to make myself anxious and in turn make them worse, I tend not to record them.

i get this second type extremley intensley the day after drinking a alcohol.

i get this as well after walking up stairs and doing physical activity but im pretty sure thats just me being unfit!

due to other concerns with my health (i was having digestive issues as well as chest pain which i now put down to precordial catch syndrome as that pretty much makes sense), I've had two ECGs over the past few months, and both have been fine! i know this pretty much reassures it, but my concern is that these ECGs havent been done when im actually getting the palpitations, therefore I cant fully know what's going on when I get them.

my main problem with going to the doctors is that i dont want to waste their time. due to my other previous issues, I don't want to look like im wasting the service, especially as i've already had two ECGs!

also, im a uni student and my local GP service is awful. Appointments are usually two weeks at best and so i dont want to book one if its not worth it but at the same time dont want to ignore it if it is a problem!

has anyone had a similar experience/ got some advice?

thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi sorry you're abit anxious and possibly unwell, honestly doesn't sound that bad, i've been suffering with agoraphobia for years and dont leave my house due to it and have become severely unfit, i walk up stairs get 140bpm and takes a while to come down, But what it sounds like is anxiety and being a little unfit as you said, as for alcohol, it affects the heart rate just like weed does too, they both raise your heart rate during and after effects from the drink/drug has faded, honestly wouldn't be too worried, some people have sensitive hearts, i get palpitations from eating food aswell, its easy for me to say don't worry because i worry daily about my heart despite all the normal ECGs ive had but its still in my mind that i have something wrong with my heart, honestly i would recommend having a holter monitor fitted for 1-2days, to record heart rhythm.. you should get a activity slip where you fill in what you were doing at different times of the day, so best thing to do is make your self anxious, right it down so they know its anxiety at that point of the day, do the same for eating, do abit of exercise, just go up and down stairs like 2 times, that should be enough for someone unfit to feel the palpitations for a while, also drink abit of alcohol if your worried and right that down aswell, and of course it will record your heart while you sleep, best part is they are much more accurate then ECGs because lets say you have a heart problem, often a ECG wont pick it up, they are mainly used to check for heart attacks, atrial fibrillation etc, but other more harder to diagnose conditions like heart failure and Heart disease are harder to detect, not saying you will have them, but just making you aware that ECGs aren't always a good diagnosis, especially for a possible chronic heart condition, but as i said, im sure its anxiety, but always good to check everything.. hope you sort it out, if you want any advice or anything, maybe a chat im here! you're not alone i assure you!

• Edited

hi! sorry for the late reply, just want to say thank you for your message, its been really helpful in trying to rationalise it. i might look into the holter moniter thing- were you in the uk when you got this fitted? but like you said i think it probably comes down to being a bit anxious, and being sensitive to food/activity- i relate in that its so hard to unconvince yourself there's a problem. But yeah, i really appreciate your advice, its super helpful and i might look into the monitor thing. you mentioned suffering with agoraphobia/ feeling anxious, likewise im here to talk! Thanks again, hope everything works out for you

• Posted

your welcome!yeah I'm from the UK, I'm sure if you keep talking to you doctor he will refer you to your local hospital for a holter monitor and possibly be referred to a cardiologist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.