Random Finger & Hand Stiffening

Posted , 2 users are following.

For a few years now, I've had an issue where one of my hands or certain fingers will randomly stiffen up and curl inward. It can happen to either hand and when it does happen I lose the use of that digit or hand unless I unfold it with my other hand. There are periods when it happens more frequently and there are periods where I feel it doesn't happen for months.

If I'm carrying something in the hand that it happens to then I'm very liable to drop it. It seems to be correlated to the use of my hands but not necessarily over use. At the same time it has happened when I wasn't doing anything with my hands. So I'm not entirely sure what brings on these symptoms.

Any ideas? It doesn't seem to be carpal tunnel or trigger finger or any of the other common maladies that pop up when you Google 'finger stiffness'

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also I should mention that this stiffness and 'cringe' inward extends up my forearm sometimes.

• Posted

Look into Dupuytrens syndrome . 
    • Posted

I looked into it in my initial research and the symptoms are far different. I'm not experiencing a gradual stiffening of the fingers or anything that is permanent/chronic. The sensation is more similar to muscle spasms from overuse.

I should also mention that I'm 25 years old, if that makes any difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.