Random moments of extreme dizziness

Posted , 3 users are following.

So today I was at the hairdressers and about halfway through my haircut I started feeling nauseous and then really dizzy and felt like I had a temperature and massive ringing in my left ear.

It led me to the point where I almost collapsed (I didn't fall unconscious and my mother caught me when I fell). I sat in the toilet for about 5 minutes in the corner in the darkness. When the dizziness stopped, I got out but my left ear was still ringing like crazy.

This isn't the first time it's happened, but it doesn't happen often (like once every 6/9 months or something) and when it does happen I can't stop it.

I have a perforated eardrum in my left ear, I only just reach the threshold for healthy weight (struggle with keeping on weight so I'm 5'3 weighing 7.1 stone), I used to be anaemic but this time last year I was told it was gone.

I have been suffering from anxiety but this has been nothing like the anxiety attacks I've had, and this past week I have been feeling less anxious.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This may be what is known as Meniere's disease, or fluid build-up in the inner ear.  You need to see an ENT doctor.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Yeah I see my ENT doctor about once a year because I used to suffer from constant ear infections. They're going to de-refer me at the next appointment I think because it's been so many years with no ear infections now.

• Posted

Bit of an update: it just happened again today with a much sooner gap than normal.

Thankfully I was able to deal with it better (though it came on with a shorter notice). I sat down for a few minutes and then got back up and then had to sit back down for a few minutes until I finally had finished brushing my teeth so that I could walk to my room.

There's not much pattern to it happening as I'm always doing different things. And today I was feeling dizzier than normal when getting up fast.

No ringing this time, but I could feel it about to before I dealt with the situation. It was just the feeling of dizziness and light headedness and fever in my forehead mostly this time (though there was nausea too).

My ENT doc said that if I had any problems, to phone her up and make a sooner appointment. Does this call it necessary?

Also, do you know any ways to avoid Ménière's disease (if it is that and if there are any ways)? The fact that the gap in between episodes was so little has me concerned and I would rather it didn't happen again for a while.

• Posted

Good Morning Evamore. I hope you are feeling better today.  I'm sorry to hear you are having vertigo attacks.  I know how a vertigo attack can leave you feeling drained.  

I was diagnosed with positional vertigo about 20 years ago and have some luck avoiding posititions that trigger vertigo.  

About 3 years ago, like you, I started experiencing vertigo attacks while just sitting in a chair watching TV.  I went to see my neurologist and he said he felt that I had Menieres disease.  He prescribed acetazolomide.  It has no side effects, and along with lowering my salt intake, it has stopped the random out of the blue attacks.

Talk to your ENT or Neurologist.  From what I understand, the drug was disigned for high altitude mountain climbers but it has other uses too.

Good luck,

Richard 

• Posted

How long did the dizziness last for for you? They don't tend to last longer than 10 minutes for me (though the dizziness among other effects afterwards still linger for another 20 minutes at least) so I don't think it's Ménière's disease, though I do relate to the symptoms.

I am fairly clumsy and went through a period where I couldn't drink water without spilling it down me (ashamed to admit but it's true). And then yesterday I was especially clumsy- I'm a cleaner and kept knocking things over or the hoover kept banging into stuff. Very embarrassing sad

With that last paragraph said though, it's just me not being able to have full control over my muscles if that makes any sense. Always been bad at throwing and catching and running (my legs will go to the sides). I can aim on something and then they will just move where I don't want them to and it's so frustrating (however dyspraxia runs in my family and I should really try to go to the doctor and ask if that's why).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.