Random question about needles.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all! I am new here but something happened to me today that has happened my whole life and I just would like to hear others take on it.

I am 29. I have quite a few piercings and a lot of tattoos. I fainted one time after a piercing and got light headed after another, but nothing major.

Having said that, every single time I have my blood drawn or have an IV, it's all bad. I was recently diagnosed with PKD and have had a lot of blood tests and a couple IVs in the hospital and during procedures. So you'd think after all that I might have a grip on it, but NOPE! Had my blood drawn today. Had them lean me back, they used a butterfly needle so it didn't hurt at all, finished up, I thought I was fine, they sat me up and BOOM. Ears ringing, tunnel vision, clammy... had to lay down for a few minutes.

Sorry for the novel. I guess I am trying to figure out why this happens when I'm not scared (except of how I feel after) and it doesn't hurt.

-Katie

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Normal reaction, many people have that. I am 64 now and only the last couple of years I notice it getting better and don't need to lay flat any more. If it bothers you see your GP and ask for a referral to a psychologist to treat your needle phobia (that's what it is) The success rates are usually high for this condition.

(FYI: I am an anaesthetic nurse and very good on the giving end 😃 But on the receiving end it's a different story. )

• Posted

I sometimes get light headed and dizzy when having a blood test, I suffer from low blood pressure and wonder if that is what causes it. It first happened when I was five years old when I fainted. Since then I faint every so often or just feel dizzy, sometimes I am OK when having blood tests. I am pretty sure it is not needle phobia as I am quite happy to watch blood being drawn which in my case can be quite hard sometimes, so they have to try both arms.

• Posted

Do you have to fast for any of these blood texts?

i find when i have to fast for 12 hours i start to get dehydrated and now allowed to have small amounts of water up to 4 hour before.

i also have liq blood pressure early in the a.m. and those two things combined affect me the same way.

i would not be surprised if blood sugar drips in the a.m. especially after fasting 12 hours.

I just let the phlebotomist know I will be a hard stick and that i might get lightheaded.

mine has nothing to do with phobia either.

I laugh & joke with them about my stubborn veins as even when its a good stick, my blood is sluggish and they end up having to manipulate the needle. And I too, enjoy watching the process. Do not enjoy the pain but fascinated by the process.

One thing that does help

me is to take a deep breath before and exhale slowly while counting in my head.

And wait about 30-60 seconds before trying to get up , then get up slowly and if you feel woozy clench your fists and release with your arms straight downward. This maneuver helps bring oxygen back to tour brain. People with low blood pressure need to do that maneuver any time you feel light headed upon standing.

• Posted

thanks so much everyone. Reading through these made me feel better and gave me some great pointers. I appreciate you all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.