Random stomach pains while on PPI for possible ulcer

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Primary Doctor put me on Dexilant 60mg for stomach ulcer pains, haven't been scoped or anything invasive yet, we're doing 4 weeks of this to see if the pain goes away or starts to demimish. Originally it was a burning and gnawing feeling in the middle upper abdomen just below the sternum. 

Since starting this that pain has completely gone away. Only problem now is I randomly will have a spasm like feeling inside my stomach (around the same middle upper area) almost like I aggrivated it somehow.

Is having pains while an ulcer heals common? I know it's a PPI so it's suppose to reduce acid production, but I can still do things that would cause pain right?

I also noticed one of the side effects of Dexilant is stomach pains and tightness.. maybe that could also be giving me cramps / spasm like feelings?

It's almost like someone stabs their finger into an open would for about a second or two then back to normal. Tylenol seems to help some with the pain when it does happen, but it's happened maybe once a week since I started this two weeks ago? Usually happens when I sit for a long period of time in a slouched position (a.k.a. while at work...)

What pains are common when recovering from a stomach ulcer? The gnawing / burning feeling at least is under control.

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tell your doctor you are getting stomach pain while taking this medication and ask if you can reduce the dose or try something else.
  • Posted

although you are on the meds, I would do other natural stuff to help the ulcer. Dgl is great. Aloe Vera juice is great for the stomach.

Stomach pain while taking the meds are vet common.

• Posted

Hi blue,

The pain you explain in upper stomach are due to 2 minimum cases too.

1. Undigested food making more stress to stomach get digested.

2. Due to gas from undigested food.

Both the cases you need to try easy digestive food along with digestive enzymes.

Always don't think big for unknown problems try from the small especially on health. We don't get big problems that easy.

If you have ulcers you should have pain when you press your stomach with hand. You can try when you don't have pain normally.

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.